PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I queried Annabel Tiffin when she did this article and this was her reply.

“Thanks for replying. I appreciate what you’re saying. But I suppose from a journalist’s point of view we were doing a largely positive piece about a new venue. We have also done many items over the years about the regeneration of east Manchester. Never the less there is an issue that Manchester City council sold the land to a state with questionable human rights and many people have concerns about that. I put that point to the Mayor and it is for him to defend the position, which he did.

The UAE ranks 153 in the world in terms of personal freedoms. So while they’ve brought a lot of money into Manchester - and I love Manchester and want it to flourish - I believe it is fair to ask the question where that money is coming from.

Sorry for lengthy reply!!
Hope I haven’t put you off watching
Best wishes
Annabel”
Would she have asked the question if our owners were from America, where the Mango Mussolini recently tried to steal an election, kill the elected Leader of the House, execute his own Vice President, overthrow the government, all in a "democracy" where shopping at Walmart with an AK47 slung over your shopping trolley handle is perfectly normal & legal?

Last edited:
The most commercially successful football league on the planet will not benefit from the dead hand of government regulation.

What's required is genuinely independent arbitration, (CAS for example) to prevent the stitch up that might be coming our way from the 'Independent' Commission that will try our case.
The PL is undoubtedly very successful commercially the fans who flock to watch matches do not choose to support a team because it is successful commercially or because the PL is and the PL seems determined to ignore this. Chris from London points out, quite rightly, that certain clubs have excessive influence on the PL and I would suggest that our "problems" with UEFA arose from the existence of an alliance with other like minded clubs in Europe, Hence, the "independent arbitration" of CAS which you favour found itself ruling on whether City had broken a series of regulations which are very arguably unenforceable in law and which were not introduced by any process of consultation but by a "discussion" with the ECA, or at least, officials from Bayern Munich who claimed to speak for it. Thus European football was lumbered with regulations which limited severely the rights of owners to invest. What organisation refuses investment? And now the PL is in the same cul de sac. One third of the PL are facing proceedings for allegedly breaking PL financial regulations. Hardly the sign of an organisation where commercial success spreads its benefits to all. But then these regulations never intended that.

What is not needed is independent arbitration but an acceptance that the present regulations are actually anti-competitive and shouldn't be enforced at all. This raises the question of what regulations should be enforced and experience shows that the PL's hand is stone dead on this question. No-one is actually suggesting that the minister for sport and culture should dictate a set of regulations but wide ranging discussion is necessary and fans' organisations have to be at least consulted. I believe that a truly independent regulator is essential to these discussions and to prevent the PL ever again falling under the domination of the "red cartel".

No difference between that guy and someone waltzing into your house and stealing the family silverware off the mantle piece.
Gordon Brown was apt to levy taxes without too much thought about their effect in the real world. I remember he did an auction of bandwidth to maximise the tax take from mobiles. That put our phone industry back several years because the tax was levied before the companies had made a penny and operators were hesitant. Similarly, he planned a massive effort to increase the take from council tax by levying tax on a whole range of household features such as patios, built in wardrobes, a good view (seriously, I am not making this up). He engaged a giant army of assessors in Scotland (the rest of the country to follow) but Labour lost the election before it took effect.
He did a good job in the world financial crisis, but he was otherwise a terrible chancellor.

The PL is undoubtedly very successful commercially the fans who flock to watch matches do not choose to support a team because it is successful commercially or because the PL is and the PL seems determined to ignore this. Chris from London points out, quite rightly, that certain clubs have excessive influence on the PL and I would suggest that our "problems" with UEFA arose from the existence of an alliance with other like minded clubs in Europe, Hence, the "independent arbitration" of CAS which you favour found itself ruling on whether City had broken a series of regulations which are very arguably unenforceable in law and which were not introduced by any process of consultation but by a "discussion" with the ECA, or at least, officials from Bayern Munich who claimed to speak for it. Thus European football was lumbered with regulations which limited severely the rights of owners to invest. What organisation refuses investment? And now the PL is in the same cul de sac. One third of the PL are facing proceedings for allegedly breaking PL financial regulations. Hardly the sign of an organisation where commercial success spreads its benefits to all. But then these regulations never intended that.

What is not needed is independent arbitration but an acceptance that the present regulations are actually anti-competitive and shouldn't be enforced at all. This raises the question of what regulations should be enforced and experience shows that the PL's hand is stone dead on this question. No-one is actually suggesting that the minister for sport and culture should dictate a set of regulations but wide ranging discussion is necessary and fans' organisations have to be at least consulted. I believe that a truly independent regulator is essential to these discussions and to prevent the PL ever again falling under the domination of the "red cartel".
Yes. What the rules actually are is crucial. They must genuinely protect clubs, not try to clobber clubs the redshirts don’t like or fear competition from…er like City.

Gordon Brown was apt to levy taxes without too much thought about their effect in the real world. I remember he did an auction of bandwidth to maximise the tax take from mobiles. That put our phone industry back several years because the tax was levied before the companies had made a penny and operators were hesitant. Similarly, he planned a massive effort to increase the take from council tax by levying tax on a whole range of household features such as patios, built in wardrobes, a good view (seriously, I am not making this up). He engaged a giant army of assessors in Scotland (the rest of the country to follow) but Labour lost the election before it took effect.
He did a good job in the world financial crisis, but he was otherwise a terrible chancellor.
Crikey, never knew most of that. A wolf in sheep's clothing springs to mind.

I'm sure the PL appeal process would be more trusted if there was genuinely independent arbitration, by which I mean CAS.

What's the PL afraid of?

Losing control of the agenda perhaps?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.