Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

Nick Heywood - Warning Sign 12"

Guitar above the waist pop wannabe to smooth soul like suited mid 80's groover.

I agree with @Black&White&BlueMoon Town about your very funny categorisation but in @Coatigan style I need a clarification. Do you only qualify for that genre if it's a semi-hollow body guitar you have tucked under your chin? It certainly helps with your annoying twat quotient but is it mandatory??

There are lots of sub categories that probably exist within the theme, for example there's car crash examples everywhere. Does something different after a long layoff and personnel changes, like Chinese Democracy, count as a reinvention or is that virtually a new band? I'd just about give that a reinvention tag. Does Blackmore's transformation into a doublet wearing lute botherer count as reinvention when it was always quite apparent he was mad as cheese in the first place? I think so and good for him too.

There's lots of heavier bands have a go at something different with varying degrees of success. I'm not a big metal fan but occasionally i'll hear something on autoplay and wonder what it is to only to find myself nonplussed by my perception of an artist and what I'm hearing.

I did think about King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard as a nominee but discounted them on the basis if you are 'simply' rotating through, or mashing up, half a dozen genres every time you release something then that's just your modus operandi rather than a reinvention.
Blackmore does count as reinvention. I may even offer up one of his and Candice’s medieval musings but there’s a few options tempting me.

OK, I think I have something and it seems to have just fallen into my lap thanks to the great musical time machine ......

I bought the Big Moon Ritual album at a time when the US Masters was happening 11 years ago, and always associate it with the tournament, which is quite apt given that Chris Robinson is from Georgia.

Having only listened to the first two Black Crowes albums, I can't say this with 100% confidence, but I suspect that the cosmic jams offered up by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood are a step away from the rowdy rock 'n' roll of his previous (and current!) band.

"Star or Stone" - Chris Robinson Brotherhood

OK, I think I have something and it seems to have just fallen into my lap thanks to the great musical time machine ......

I bought the Big Moon Ritual album at a time when the US Masters was happening 11 years ago, and always associate it with the tournament, which is quite apt given that Chris Robinson is from Georgia.

Having only listened to the first two Black Crowes albums, I can't say this with 100% confidence, but I suspect that the cosmic jams offered up by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood are a step away from the rowdy rock 'n' roll of his previous (and current!) band.

"Star or Stone" - Chris Robinson Brotherhood

I'll have to leave detailed adjudication (lol) to people who are more familiar but having just has a listen and based on what I remember of Shake Your Money Maker this sounds sufficiently chilled, hippyish and rootsy to count as a bare minimum as an evolution or maybe more accurately devolution

BTW - I can think of at least one probably two Chris Whitley songs where I think the theme is reinvention (or possibly struggling to reinvent) though that might just be my interpretation of the lyrics :-)

She puts on her headphones - Lau

Off the beaten track a bit, why not. Their shift from 'trad' folk to more 'modern' folk with a teensy hint of psychedelia here and there. There are actually more abstract examples than this one, but this treads a balance of being good and not too niche. Not a transition I can say I am all that keen on, but still has a place for me.

Granted, some nominations here will not be as meaningful without at least some knowledge of a band or context for comparison (something I was loosely aware of but was highlighted by threespires' paramore comment). So I would politely suggest we offer a contrasting song to accompany the nominations. It doesn't have to get included in the playist, but gives people a 'guided' choice should they wish to explore in their own time. As we have established threespires isn't a sad nutter stickler for rules and paperwork, I'm sure it will be met with little objection. If so I put forward their Kris's as a contrasting option.

Off the beaten track a bit, why not. Their shift from 'trad' folk to more 'modern' folk with a teensy hint of psychedelia here and there. There are actually more abstract examples than this one, but this treads a balance of being good and not too niche. Not a transition I can say I am all that keen on, but still has a place for me.

Granted, some nominations here will not be as meaningful without at least some knowledge of a band or context for comparison (something I was loosely aware of but was highlighted by threespires' paramore comment). So I would politely suggest we offer a contrasting song to accompany the nominations. It doesn't have to get included in the playist, but gives people a 'guided' choice should they wish to explore in their own time. As we have established threespires isn't a sad nutter stickler for rules and paperwork, I'm sure it will be met with little objection. If so I put forward their Kris's as a contrasting option.

I was about to suggest you went back to my original post and re-read the exam question but then I realised that was a bit cheeky when I'd already ballsed up the criteria once!!! But yes, I have made that point in the original list and am open to including the counterpoint song in the list if (a) the list isn't too out of hand and (b) people think the artistic contrast is worthy of capturing. Maybe the top five counterpoints get added?

Re. the Lau pick, it's interesting - if I were to put on something like Lightweights and Gentlemen it would work quite well for me almost all of the time but there are elements of Midnight and Closedown that are sufficiently quirky that I need to be in the mood for it.

So folk to...erm...folk?

I agree with @Black&White&BlueMoon Town about your very funny categorisation but in @Coatigan style I need a clarification. Do you only qualify for that genre if it's a semi-hollow body guitar you have tucked under your chin? It certainly helps with your annoying twat quotient but is it mandatory??
Bit harsh that mate, I've never stuffed a guitar under my chin.

I was about to suggest you went back to my original post and re-read the exam question but then I realised that was a bit cheeky when I'd already ballsed up the criteria once!!! But yes, I have made that point in the original list and am open to including the counterpoint song in the list if (a) the list isn't too out of hand and (b) people think the artistic contrast is worthy of capturing. Maybe the top five counterpoints get added?

Re. the Lau pick, it's interesting - if I were to put on something like Lightweights and Gentlemen it would work quite well for me almost all of the time but there are elements of Midnight and Closedown that are sufficiently quirky that I need to be in the mood for it.

So you did, my bad.

Nailed it re the two albums. Glad you actually explored them properly as well, off the back of discussions here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.