Attacks in Paris

Why should "religious belief" be respected? Serious question.

I ask because I am really, really, tired of religious people asserting that their beliefs should be respected. It is perfectly possible to respect an individual, while thinking their Sunday habits are rather peculiar. "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Associating "aggressive materialist culture" with atheism and only with atheism is a common defensive ploy of the religious and has no basis in fact.

Well to play devils advocate here why should your view that peoples desire for religious beliefs to be respected carry more weight than their view?

Live and let live is my view. I think respect is a two way thing and should be mutual.

I am afraid - nay ashamed at times - to note that far too many people in this world are of the

" Round 'em up, Put 'em in a field and Bomb the bastards " persuasion. Far too few appear to consider the consequences of that action and conveniently forget that a lack of proper planning by Bliar and Bush left the power vacuum in Iraq that basically poured petrol on an already raging fire.

Those people exist, of course.

But not everyone who fails to see precisely in line with your particular views should be tarred as belonging to such a group of lunatics by default.

To do so is pathetic, and not conducive to any actual real constructive discussion between people with differing views.

It's the textbook dismissal of someone else's views via your own prejudices. Create a caricature out of your opposition, and dismiss them as a result.

Lazy, pathetic, cowardly.

It seems that Raqqa is getting a bombed this evening, the Russians have also been targeting it, I suspect that the decision has been made to more or less flatten it and make it uninhabitable for IS, I have no doubt in my mind that in a few months IS will be reduced to a just another Terrorist Group with no territory, all the strategic dominoes in Iraq and Syria are falling into place Mosul will be next

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.