United 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spill. Not much I can shame the few United fans I associate with iin regards to the shithouse club they support but I do like to fuel my petty hatred of them
Good Friday 1915. They were struggling in Div 1, third from bottom and just one point above bottom team Chelsea. They played Liverpool at Old Trafford and won 2-0. However there were some suspicion about the result, particularly when a Liverpool player hit the bar and his team-mates got angry with him.

An investigation was launched and it came out that bookies had paid out big bets on the 2-0 result. This led to a number of players on both teams being charged with offering and taking bribes. A number of United players admitted giving a bribe to Liverpool players and a number of players on both teams were suspended.

Those 2 points kept them up although that was the last season before the league was suspended for the war and the top division was expanded from 20 to 22 clubs in 1919. Spurs were bottom and assumed they'd be safe but Arsenal somehow contrived to get themselves promoted despite finishing 5th in Div 2.

Good Friday 1915. They were struggling in Div 1, third from bottom and just one point above bottom team Chelsea. They played Liverpool at Old Trafford and won 2-0. However there were some suspicion about the result, particularly when a Liverpool player hit the bar and his team-mates got angry with him.

An investigation was launched and it came out that bookies had paid out big bets on the 2-0 result. This led to a number of players on both teams being charged with offering and taking bribes. A number of United players admitted giving a bribe to Liverpool players and a number of players on both teams were suspended.

Those 2 points kept them up although that was the last season before the league was suspended for the war and the top division was expanded from 20 to 22 clubs in 1919. Spurs were bottom and assumed they'd be safe but Arsenal somehow contrived to get themselves promoted despite finishing 5th in Div 2.

Now if only we had such a rich history................

Thanks for that PB. I think a lot of people knew about the Spurs being replaced by Arsenal in suspicious circumstances but that's the first I've heard of that Liverpool United result.

The United way

Dont forget Mr Gibson who ploughed in over £40,000 in 1931, a figure in todays money that is around £2,000,000 as crowds where regularly under 10,000 for the rags and they where about to go bust.

Ah the rich history as no way was that ever financial cheating or doping yes?

2155619.main_image.jpg

24340F7B00000578-0-image-m-18_1419176809890.jpg

Now if only we had such a rich history................
A few of their players came from City, including the legendary Billy Meredith, after we'd been done by the FA for illegal payments. Meredith himself was done for attempting to bribe Aston Villa to throw a game against us.

Nowadays it's different. We outsource all the match fixing to Sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.