Must see documentaries..

Just got done watching one of my favorite ESPN 30 for 30 docs.

Requiem For The Big East:
About how a handful of small northeast US universities took on the established order of college basketball and dominated the 80's landscape. Takes me back to my youth and a time that will sadly never come again.

Currently on Netflix.

Americas Hate Preachers - BBC Catch Up.

Follows pastor Steven Anderson over 6 months preaching his vile beliefs, whilst his followers lap it up. Also, a street preacher called Ruban who I'm sure has been chinned more times than he cracks on. Saddest thing of all, their kids will grow up believing this shite, and so the hatred continue.

Just got done watching one of my favorite ESPN 30 for 30 docs.

Requiem For The Big East:
About how a handful of small northeast US universities took on the established order of college basketball and dominated the 80's landscape. Takes me back to my youth and a time that will sadly never come again.

Currently on Netflix.
Is there much basketball in it?

Is there much basketball in it?
Yeah. There is quite a bit of footage. Mostly from the famous Big East Tourneys of the 80's with HOFers Chris Mullens and Patrick Ewing. But there is also key footage of Georgetown and Villanova's NCAA tournament runs. Like I said, it made me pretty nostalgic.

Watched "The Boy With No Brain" last night on Channel 5.

Baby born with just 2% of normal brain mass due to hydrocephalus in the womb. Also has spina bifida.

Incredibly he has survived even though doctors thought he wouldn't even be able to breathe on his own. Not only that, his brain has actually grown back to 80% of normal size.

Amazing :-)

Americas Hate Preachers - BBC Catch Up.

Follows pastor Steven Anderson over 6 months preaching his vile beliefs, whilst his followers lap it up. Also, a street preacher called Ruban who I'm sure has been chinned more times than he cracks on. Saddest thing of all, their kids will grow up believing this shite, and so the hatred continue.

Just watched it and to be honest it was a very lazy documentary. Didn't get close enough to those involved to add any fresh insight into their mindsets. The content of the hate speech isn't really shocking any more, everyone has seen Theroux's documentary on the same subject. And Theroux did it so much better. While people knock his style he does get close to his subjects and as such gets more from them.

The biggest opportunities were missed with the gay brother of the preacher who had been ostracised from his family (not interviewed at all) and the wife who seemed to me like she had been completely brainwashed and was entirely under his control. The film moved on very quickly from her when she had potential from the point of view of how these individuals control others. She wasn't brought up in that environment but had someone fallen into it but how this happened wasn't really explained.

And the big one for me is the money side of it. These guys must be raking it in. Millions of hits on YouTube, big audiences at lectures etc. I'd love to see a documentary put the financials under the microscope. After all, at the heart of all religion is money. Someone's always coining it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.