Barcelona vs City - pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let them have the ball, and we might have a chance.

That is extremely difficult, however, i'd say our pressing and winning of the ball is better than their's, so when we do have possession we have to keep it. They will get possession, and they will use it much better than we will. Have to press as well as Spurs did against us and then use possession as well as we did against Everton.

Have to take our chances. Our policy of scoring 1 every 8 chances ain't gonna cut it.

We can't sit off them and keep it tight and try nick a draw, we'll get leathered. Got to fight fire with fire and hope they have an off day.

I can't decide whether to go 3 at the back and have that extra midfielder, or use full backs and make us more solid. Thankfully, Pep's paid to make that choice and not me.

You've got to cut off the supply as much as possible.

Both of us play the same style. The only difference is they do it better than us, but on the other hand KDB and Sterling can also be a counter attacking combo that their defenders won't be able to cope with. I actually think it will be easier for us to score against them than against Everton last weekend. The problem is MSN will rip a new arsehole of our back line as well.

Sagna still injured isnt he? Clichy has to start, just has to

You must be JOKING.
As much as he is a scapegoat on here, I wager if it was Kolarov 1 v 1 against Lukaku on saturday, he has the balls to engage and at least show him wider
Clichy took zero responsibility at all and allowed the goal to be scored. Kolarov doesn't let Lukaku bully him like that. Do you seriously think Clichy will fare any better Wednesday night?

I have a serious hunch we will play Kompany Stones Otamendi, why else would he bring Kompany on on saturday (up front or otherwise!!!), if it wasnt to test his horrendous calfs/hamstrings/body in general for 5 minutes

We have scored 3,3,4,4,3,4,5 goals in separate games this season so far.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a more ruthless striker than Sergio Aguero, penalty crisis or not.
Speaking about 'this level' asif Pep and our fans arent aware who we are facing... we have players in KDB Aguero Nolito who will put the ball in the back of the net 8 times out of 10
Unfortunately we faced a keeper in a freakishly good spell for 90 mins saturday

Dont watch the game then, if you dont think we can win

I was there on Saturday

I think it's fare to say that they have more ruthless/better strikers that us. I don't think that is in anyway controversial

We can win, of course we can. I just don't think we will

Don't let them have the ball, and we might have a chance.

That is extremely difficult, however, i'd say our pressing and winning of the ball is better than their's, so when we do have possession we have to keep it. They will get possession, and they will use it much better than we will. Have to press as well as Spurs did against us and then use possession as well as we did against Everton.

Have to take our chances. Our policy of scoring 1 every 8 chances ain't gonna cut it.

We can't sit off them and keep it tight and try nick a draw, we'll get leathered. Got to fight fire with fire and hope they have an off day.

I can't decide whether to go 3 at the back and have that extra midfielder, or use full backs and make us more solid. Thankfully, Pep's paid to make that choice and not me.

You've got to cut off the supply as much as possible.

Perhaps the fact that one full back is injured, another looks like he is done and yet another appeared to have reverted to type may just make up the managers mind for him!!!

You must be JOKING.
As much as he is a scapegoat on here, I wager if it was Kolarov 1 v 1 against Lukaku on saturday, he has the balls to engage and at least show him wider
Clichy took zero responsibility at all and allowed the goal to be scored. Kolarov doesn't let Lukaku bully him like that. Do you seriously think Clichy will fare any better Wednesday night?

I have a serious hunch we will play Kompany Stones Otamendi, why else would he bring Kompany on on saturday (up front or otherwise!!!), if it wasnt to test his horrendous calfs/hamstrings/body in general for 5 minutes
Lukaku would have scored that goal if both Kolarov and Clichy were playing. he did nothing else in the game but that is why he is as in demand as he is.

You must be JOKING.

yes. absolutely.

Just to add another dimension.
I watched their game against Atleti last month and they literally were stumped as to how to break them down. They scored from a scramble after a corner and after that, Madrid were the better side.
Madrid was better after Busquets has been substituted and Messi got injured: both happened around 60th minutes. Still could only score a cheap goal, Barca should blame themselves for missing a win.
I also saw them (Minus just Messi - just!) obliterated by Celta in the first half where they went 3-0 down. They are not the side they were simply because of age any maybe motivation but they've also lost to Alaves this year and struggled against the Borussia side we battered
And just Iniesta + experimental midfield and stupid tactic in the first half. Alaves played with second squad with two firemen in defence - Maska and Mathieu.

If you look at last year results it was the same, Barca usually have a slow start.

Saturday game was almost a training. Iniesta didn't play, Busquets got only 55 minutes, Suarez even less, one half and Messi almost instantly picked his form. I think blaugrana would be close to their best form.

But, still, anything could happen. For example under Luis Enrique Barca never recovered from 2-0, so two quick goals could make big deal.

Anyway, for me, Barca and Pep supporter, it's a win-win situation (: I'm expecting great attacking game, probably best this Autumn in CL. And then another one at Ethihad.

Last edited:
You must be JOKING.

Stones and Otamendi were both by far more culpable than Clichy for their goal.
Clichy covered 50 yards to make to make up for others' mistakes.
To engage as you put it would have been suicide, any foul and he was off.

Clichy whilst not brilliant was very good Saturday and for my money is much better suited to their diminutive quick footed attackers.

Bravo
Stones Kompany Otamendi
Fernandinho Gundogan
Sterling Silva De Bruyne Nolito
Aguero

Caballero Kolarov Zabaleta Fernando Sané Navas Iheanacho

I'm toying with the idea that this is the best matchday squad ever put out by an English team. Reckon they won't be at their best and if we're nearly at ours we can nick a draw or a win if we're lucky. We're owed a bit of luck after being cheated out of the opportunity to play against 10 men for over half a game, something that with Pep's style would lead to almost a guaranteed win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.