Guardiola fined £20,000 for wearing yellow ribbon (p140)

I'm sure Pep understands that he's breaking the rules, he just feels so strongly about this issue that he's prepared to accept the punishment rather than obey the rules. Whether a sports governing body should be interfering with an individual's freedom of expression will become the real issue if the FA take action

I'm sure he understands there is a rule. Bet he can't understand why.

Not read the whole thread, but there is no coincidence between the treatment of Peps family in Barcelona, an the fact that a day after the FA bring this charge.

The FA need to come clean with who instigated the complaint, It smells of Castille influencing puppets who sit on the FA and Uefa.

Working within the rules to change things is the basis of every democratic system for 2500 years. It happens every day in Parliament.

Lol so if we worked within the rules when would women have got the vote? You have to challenge authority to change it.

Working within the rules to change things is the basis of every democratic system for 2500 years. It happens every day in Parliament.
Palatable change. Change that suits the incumbents of said democratic system.

When said system is fundamentally broken, and the rules are set up to ensure they remain in power, then you aren't going to change anything being nice.

We're talking about the FA here. Which are an archaic, outdated organisation, full of old boys with their own agendas.

I'd much rather see individuals play outside the rules to make a mockery of them, and hopefully force a refresh.

My view on this is actually super simple.

The FA decide the rules.

That's it really, it's their competition and they get to decide what you can and can't do if you participate in it. If they say no yellow ribbon then no yellow ribbon. Pep can wear a yellow ribbon for 22 and a half hours a day if he really feels like he has to (and I admire and encourage him to do so). But during this time, he is paid and expected to be managing a Premier League team under the jurisdiction and rules of the FA.

People can argue that the rule is stupid, and I agree somewhat, but it IS a rule and he should respect that. Why stand in his technical area? Why not play 15 players in a match? Why not manage bollock naked? Why respect SOME rules but not other rules?

This isn't a freedom of speech issue to me because the FA is not the Government. They run an invitational league that is owned by the Premier League and can exclude people for any, many, or no reason. If they wanted to dock City 50 points then they could an nobody could really stop them if it was within the rules.

If you want to get rules changed then you work within the system to try and change things. That's how the whole of civilisation works, generally.
I totally agree. If you join one of the gentlemans’ clubs in and around St James in London you will be expected to observe their collar and tie dress code. You can’t be a member and walk in for lunch wearing jeans and a tee-shirt. You either observe the rule, even if you work to change it, or choose not to be a member. You can walk out of the door and take your tie off if you want, without offending against the rules of the club.

I believe politics should be kept out of football and that includes the poppy. I’ve written in KOTK and on here that I find the relatively recent zeal of the English football world for increasingly elaborate observance of Remembrance Day not to my taste for various reasons. If people want to commemorate war dead, there are opportunities to do so publicly, at local ceremonies, and privately.

I assume everyone backing Pep bringing attention to people jailed for their political beliefs feels the same sympathy for those similarly jailed, tortured and held without access to lawyers & their families in the UAE?

Just checking.
Whether I support any individual or group of people jailed for their political beliefs has absolutely no connection with my support for someone else's right to express that support.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to the journalists bringing up his allegiances with Qatar and Abu Dhabi and their very bad human rights records which include holding political prisoners without trial - the very thing he's protesting with the ribbon.

I don't really care either way, but the ribbon has definitely opened him up to some criticism and it'll be interesting to see how he responds to it.

Lol so if we worked within the rules when would women have got the vote? You have to challenge authority to change it.

Of course. Women's Lib was happening BEFORE Pankhurst and in fact many historians feel that although she created publicity, she actually set the movement back because she created extremes on both sides who then dug their heels in.

The overall effect of the suffragette militancy, however, was to set back the cause of women's suffrage. For women to gain the right to vote it was necessary to demonstrate that they had public opinion on their side, to build and consolidate a parliamentary majority in favour of women's suffrage and to persuade or pressure the government to introduce its own franchise reform. None of these objectives was achieved.[33]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.