International Friendlies 21st-28th March

England have been abysmal the last few years, and they get a kicking by the right on hipster types even when they're showing progress, because it's well cool to slag them off, innit. But they're making progress here. Southgate gets abuse for being an intelligent man and trying to get them to play like Pep-lite, but the point is that England ARE playing better football, there IS a plan behind it. Irrespective of being against a poor Dutch team, the passing was crisp, the movement excellent. Are they up with Spain and Germany? Of course not, it's not even close, but are they improving? Without question.

England are weak in central midfield, and Southgate knows that, so he's focused on ball playing defenders to try to get the best out of a forward line that is genuinely dangerous. Jack Wilshere is no David Silva but he is the best we have, which is why he wants him fit. Southgate wants England to play football, and develop. We have strong youth coming through, and should get better over the next decade. But it is going to take time, and it's all about showing the direction of travel.

He's doing a good job and he's no fool.

Is it me, just scanning through the bbc for international fixtures, but can't see Belgium, do they have any games?
edit found it, seems to be just Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night.

Last edited:
England have been abysmal the last few years, and they get a kicking by the right on hipster types even when they're showing progress, because it's well cool to slag them off, innit. But they're making progress here. Southgate gets abuse for being an intelligent man and trying to get them to play like Pep-lite, but the point is that England ARE playing better football, there IS a plan behind it. Irrespective of being against a poor Dutch team, the passing was crisp, the movement excellent. Are they up with Spain and Germany? Of course not, it's not even close, but are they improving? Without question.

England are weak in central midfield, and Southgate knows that, so he's focused on ball playing defenders to try to get the best out of a forward line that is genuinely dangerous. Jack Wilshere is no David Silva but he is the best we have, which is why he wants him fit. Southgate wants England to play football, and develop. We have strong youth coming through, and should get better over the next decade. But it is going to take time, and it's all about showing the direction of travel.

Completely agree with this.

I also think Southgate recognises that individually if we were to go with a back 4 with flying fullbacks, both the central defenders and central midfielders are just not good enough against any half decent team. The back three with wingbacks makes up for this.

I do wonder if Foden can play regularly towards the end of the season with us having win the league whether he can get a call up.

England are crying out for a number 10 like him.

Good post. It annoys me that nearly every man and his dog was on slagging them off. Like you said we are way behind the top sides, but
we knew that already. But last night, it looked like we are trying to play something resembling football.

i thought we played quite well yesterday. the back 5 i think are the strongest part of the team. its good to see players comfortable on the ball. maguire and stones look quite good and pickford for me should be first choice. we desperately need a foden type player in midfield - someone good on the ball that can pass it forward.

despite all the hatred i actually think we have a decent side. its not the best, but we dont need that. what we need is a team players not a bunch of individuals like in past tournaments.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.