What did the kids do before the internet?

Fucking hell I used to go popping tarmac bubbles up the lane in summer, play footie and cricket, go fishing up stink pit, conker picking up manor house, build rope swings down misty woods, build BMX courses on building sites, pretend those triangular things that brickies used on building sites were helicopters, chucking sticks in the river and seeing which one was fastest, playing shit sticks (a dirty game of tick, where you were chased with dog shit on a stick, and if it hit you then you were on), playing kerbie, throwing footballs across stink pit when it was frozen seeing if it coukc get to the other side.

It's wank being a kid nowadays and I remind my two of this, when they're glued to their fucking screens.

Played football on the fields every day/evening/holidays.
Kerby.
Kick ball hide, one of you had the ball and it was left in one spot, the rest used to hide and you had to try and kick the ball away from the original spot and go back and hide whilst the kid looking for you had to go and get thè ball and start again.
Played 2,4,6,8 ralivo caught, 6 or 7 on each team and you'd hide round the estate and had to hunt the others down.
Kingy. Where you had a tennis ball and had to throw it at each other in order to get caught, you could only pick it up with your knuckles and throw it as far as you could.
Coming out on Christmas day to show off your presents or tell each other what you got.
Going for huge bike rides for hours. I suppose kids today do the same but this time they are armed with a knife, a gun and 10 wraps of class A's.
Hunting for bomy wood and building bommies for bonfire night and making dens with the wood you got.
Camping out in your garden overnight. Take turns at each others houses, proper tents with food and drink for the night.
Blimey what a difference a generation makes.
Where did you live. You described my childhood to a tee. We could have been mates.

Football down the park and using jumpers for goalposts when the goals were taken down, not knowing when you hit one well over the none crossbar, losing the ball in the back gardens of the houses adjacent. Playing hide and seek round the block, having a game of kirby with a tennis ball and waster fights in the summer.

Have to agree sadly. Whose fault is it though for letting them spend hours and hours with a PS/Xbox controller in their hands?
Like kids do everything you tell them. We stopped telling them to respect their elders at some point. Nothing like a blackboard duster hitting you in the back of the head at twenty mph to enforce that!

Nicking lead and copper out of slum clearance houses on Gorton Lane and weighing it in at the scrappers.

Going down the hills in Sunny Brow park on old car bonnets

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.