The Left Back position

Lomas has a lob on said:
Chancy Termites said:
Clichy's great. It's cover for Clichy that we need.

Agreed!

And we already have someone at the club who can provide great cover for both RB and LB positions.

Zabaleta!!

He played alot the FA cup winning season playing at LB and played very well there, ala Irwin.

I'm not saying its a route we will go down but he could cover for both Richards and Clichy which would mean he'd get more game time than a normal "squad" player.

Milner can always cover in extreme emergencies at RB likewise Lescott in extreme emergencies at LB.

Lescott can't play at LB. Even in an emergengy. He's a slow CH. For a LB he's like molassis in january and provides less than nothing going forward. Nothing argrivates me more than these silly convertions. Let's have Zab play in the midfield. Let's have Garcia play CH. I prefer to have guys in their best position.

Lomas has a lob on said:
Chancy Termites said:
Clichy's great. It's cover for Clichy that we need.

Agreed!

And we already have someone at the club who can provide great cover for both RB and LB positions.

Zabaleta!!

He played alot the FA cup winning season playing at LB and played very well there, ala Irwin.

I'm not saying its a route we will go down but he could cover for both Richards and Clichy which would mean he'd get more game time than a normal "squad" player.

Milner can always cover in extreme emergencies at RB likewise Lescott in extreme emergencies at LB.

Great post.

Caveman said:
The word "woeful" is utterly incorrect. He rarely crosses balls in and rarely shoots.
Apparently you never seen him cross the ball because woeful sounds about right..his left foot is made of sand watching him cross the ball is an eye sore at least kolarov can put in a dangerous ball in the box

honestly, i think we're fine at the left back position.

Is Clichy great going forward? No. But he's not woeful as you said. His crossing isn't great but he doesn't give the ball away, and most importantly doesn't get out of position, and if he does he's so fast he can get back(most of the time). I think he is a very solid LB worthy of a starting spot in a top team.

Kolorov is a worthy back up LB. He and Clichy have a nice ying and yang thing going on. Complete opposites give the coaching staff variety when selecting the team. Sometimes (ok maybe not too often, but every once in a while) we need a player like Kolorov in the squad to get forward from out wide. When playing in a 4-4-2 with Silva as the LM (Silva loves drifting inside) Kolorov works well.

I think we're fine at left back. Although I'd love to see a guy like Alaba from Bayern in sky blue.

NanaToure42 said:
honestly, i think we're fine at the left back position.

Is Clichy great going forward? No. But he's not woeful as you said. His crossing isn't great but he doesn't give the ball away, and most importantly doesn't get out of position, and if he does he's so fast he can get back(most of the time). I think he is a very solid LB worthy of a starting spot in a top team.

Kolorov is a worthy back up LB. He and Clichy have a nice ying and yang thing going on. Complete opposites give the coaching staff variety when selecting the team. Sometimes (ok maybe not too often, but every once in a while) we need a player like Kolorov in the squad to get forward from out wide. When playing in a 4-4-2 with Silva as the LM (Silva loves drifting inside) Kolorov works well.

I think we're fine at left back. Although I'd love to see a guy like Alaba from Bayern in sky blue.
not a chance at that.

Braggster said:
LoveCity said:
Clichy is a brilliant player, seems to be underrated by a lot of our fans. Probably the best defensive left-back in the league and one of the best in Europe. But yes his attacking threat is limited so the alternative should be someone with attacking potency (but also the ability to defend) like Richards is to Zaba. This is why I'm not keen on the idea of Zabaleta as cover for Clichy, neither are outstanding going forward. Kolarov has shown flashes at times but can be extraordinarily poor and is always inconsistent.
Is it reasonable to expect consistency from a player who is a backup to the incumbent and expected to start maybe 30 per cent of matches? I don't think it is.

Maybe you can get that in a system like the rags had under the GPC, where everyone knew their roles and the team had played a more or less constant style for many years (10+) with only gradual evolutions, so backup players - themselves often long serving - knew exactly what they had to do and what their team mates' likely movements were.

However, in a squad like ours which has been put together more recently and with less continuity - true of almost all teams, to be fair - is it realistic to expect consistency of performance from backup players who don't make regular appearances? Especially so, when you're asking them to provide a creative outlet where (for example when it comes to crossing) it's crucial to have instinctive knowledge of the runs made by the forward players. I have my doubts and think it might simply be asking too much

Hence my call for consistency earlier in the thread.

Instinct, natural movement, positioning and decision making are all enhanced with familiarity with team mates and their game.

Shaunny and Micah being a great example.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.