Huddersfield (a) pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job we don’t believe in Typical a City anymore
200w.gif

I suspect/hope the "new manager bounce" will be less of an issue here. When a manager is sacked or leaves it's often the case that the fans and players had grown frustrated with the manager in question and the idea of a fresh start gives everyone a bit of lift. There's a sense of optimism about teams when they think a a new approach might help a team if it's underachieving. With Wagner though, I think everyone's sad to see him go. He's achieved the impossible with Huddersfield in the previous two seasons and they're not really in a false position now. The rest of the season still looks pretty bleak for them.

I think we'll win but the manager's resignation is bad timing for us, and last season we found it very difficult to break them down. Nowadays I'm confident for most home games, but away games can be difficult whoever you play. They are at the point now where they are almost down and are fighting for their lives.
Usually I'd agree with you, Marvin, but Huddersfield weren't bottom because of Wagner. They'd have to invent a 21st place in the Premier League just to reflect how poor they'd perform without him. Each of the 11 points they've scraped this season have been entirely down to him. They were solid enough last season and had a lot to be proud of, but they recruited poorly in the summer and have gone backwards from there. Wagner's approach hasn't always been ideal - sometimes I think they've been a little cowardly because they tend to play better when pressing opponents as opposed to sitting back, which was Wagner's most commonly used tactic towards the end - but they've kept their heads above water because of him. Their fans are all devastated that he's gone because he's taken their best chance of survival with them. If we don't win this game it'll be because we seriously fucked up somehow, not because they've experienced the boom you usually see when a bad manager leaves a club. Wagner should hang around in the bottom half disquiet for a while and wait for a job like Crystal Palace or Newcastle to become available in the summer - he'd be really, really good for a team whose top expectations are to finish 12th.

Usually I'd agree with you, Marvin, but Huddersfield weren't bottom because of Wagner. They'd have to invent a 21st place in the Premier League just to reflect how poor they'd perform without him. Each of the 11 points they've scraped this season have been entirely down to him. They were solid enough last season and had a lot to be proud of, but they recruited poorly in the summer and have gone backwards from there. Wagner's approach hasn't always been ideal - sometimes I think they've been a little cowardly because they tend to play better when pressing opponents as opposed to sitting back, which was Wagner's most commonly used tactic towards the end - but they've kept their heads above water because of him. Their fans are all devastated that he's gone because he's taken their best chance of survival with them. If we don't win this game it'll be because we seriously fucked up somehow, not because they've experienced the boom you usually see when a bad manager leaves a club. Wagner should hang around in the bottom half disquiet for a while and wait for a job like Crystal Palace or Newcastle to become available in the summer - he'd be really, really good for a team whose top expectations are to finish 12th.
The game is no longer all about 3 points but an opportunity to honour Wagner. We don't know how they will react, but I'd rather the factor wasn't there. Difficult to say whether it will have a positive or negative effect, but it throws another unknown into the equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.