VAR (PL introduction 2019)

Don’t agree with any of you. It’s a brilliant idea but will have problems initially. If the Rags and Liverpool are against it that tells you everything you need to know. They are the biggest recipients of refereeing decisions in this country.

And for some reason, that will change, giving Mike Riley's boys more opportunity to help them.

I can't think of that reason, but...

Tonight's game was the perfect demonstration of how VAR can be used to screw us over.

Aguero level, so onside but still the goal did not count. Nothing will be done about it. Officials will still be allowed to get away with incorrect decisions against us with absolute impunity.

Seemed to me the sky replay or still looked like it was at an angle not straight on,aguero clearly offside going by that,the var still has aguero level so it should have been a goal,but are any of us surprised the ref wasn’t gonna award us it anyhow regardless....

Aguero looked offside because normally he would be. It was a stray foot keeping him on.

But we have already seen, that if your foot is level, you can even lean your body forward into a blatantly offside position, as shown recently by Harry Kane in an identical situation, & not be offside.

Aguero made it easy to see, by not leaning forward & yet is still off.

But of course Chelsea, rightly, complained about the incompetence of v a.r. in that game, thus have successfully corrupted the v.a.r. officials for the final. Just as will happen on any occasion any reds get a 50/50 against them (if it ever happens).

I saw the image they showed for Aguero goal and i think it is a short offside. I have seen goals like that being overturned for PSG with VAR in France because of some millimeters.
What matters for offside is not the foot but any part of the body that can be used to score a goal (i.e everything but hands and arms).

However, there is a big problem not with VAR but with the referees that are using (or should i say manipulating) that technology. For example, if they want to give a penalty kick to some team, they can easily do so by searching for the weakest contact possible. Madrid got a penalty today for a very light contact, if there is any. In the same vein, they can overturn a goal like the one between Ajax and Real. I think it was the right call in this instance.
A contrario, for similar offences, they will not give the penalty kick against another team because they can argue it was not a clear and blatant error from referee. I have seen it first hand with PSG. It is quite ridiculous. Same with red cards offences, VAR is supposed to help with that regards but the referees are doing as they please.
I suspect referees to be too proud to admit they could be wrong and they act like oblige to VAR is a dent in their authority. As such, they can go great lenghts and refuse correct VAR calls just for the sake of it. The week after Lyon committed another red card offence against PSG. The referee didn't give a red because it was very late in the game (like 88 min) which is a stupid reason. The worst thing is VAR should have called to correct him but they didn't.

Essentially, VAR is a good tool but put in the hands of idiot, incompetent, bent refs, it produces biased, inconsistent results.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.