Judge the Oscars Winners *2019

@Bigga

I just call it as I see it.Having read many of your comments over the years there always seems to be an agenda where the topic of race is concerned.You obviously have your reasons for such and I would never intrude on them,however,I find it difficult to believe your innocent intention claim or even take you seriously because of your forum history and your bias.

The Oscars are a joke btw,nothing more than sycophantic bullshit and political nonsense.

My opinion on the film is known in my response above.

The real gem of this film, you're right, is that it makes other minorities feel they could be 'superheroes' too.

Look at the 'Miles Morales' character set in an 'Else World' genre and STILL got shouted down for a long time before it made film!

The "Star Wars" Black storm trooper and TV's 'Titans' 'Starfire' furore! It looked endless and these are MAKE BELIEVE people!!

But, I'm glad Hollywood is pressing forward to include and so it's looking to press forward with the 'Shang-Chi' Marvel character.

Now, things are starting to look 'normal' to me, personally and in a few years, my kids won't notice a thing out of place for heroes and villains as they'll be of ALL shades.

Yeah I've definitely been one of those people to get riled. Like I'm aware I'm programmed to show tribalistic favouritism towards things that match up with who I am based on animal instinct and environmental upbringing and as such I'll always be somewhat biased. It's taken A LOT of introspection on my part but I've kind of realised that it stems from my own insecurities and knowing that has helped me start to see things a bit more objectively (still plenty of work yet to do so for me).

But basically, sort of trying to empathise with others (eg minorities) becomes a lot simpler when you realise we're all human, and regardless of creed we all have those same insecurities. And I realise that I only feel these ways occasionally (eg when Asian people kick off over a white male playing a traditionally Asian character), a typical black person for example, I can only assume, feels this way loads. Which makes part of me want to force these things through just so that those who constantly feel ignored or different or something else bad don't have to.

At the same time, I'm caught in a dilemma as there's a big part of me that believes in artistic integrity. Like I believe the best picture should win. Positive message or not. If a person suits a role, they should be cast, even if they don't fit. Forcing through positive issues does undermine other things.

But then again, I believe I lack the knowledge, wisdom, reasoning ability and honestly interest to try and go deep to measure the two up against one another to come up with some preferred, middle-ground or alternate outcome.

So my point is, neither way is truly ideal. But more importantly, neither way, specifically the overly inclusive PC way, is ANYWHERE near as bad people say. And as you say, why does it really matter? It's just fictional media.

ps. I must be honest so as not to come too much across as an arrogant prick to the others. There's a big part of me that likes seeing people get wound up over things that just aren't worth getting wound up about, at least for them. It selfishly boosts my own ego knowing that I don't. It's not good, but I prefer to delude myself and say it's a byproduct of going in the right direction.

@Bigga

I just call it as I see it.Having read many of your comments over the years there always seems to be an agenda where the topic of race is concerned.You obviously have your reasons for such and I would never intrude on them,however,I find it difficult to believe your innocent intention claim or even take you seriously because of your forum history and your bias.

The Oscars are a joke btw,nothing more than sycophantic bullshit and political nonsense.

"I call it as I see it" is such a popular phrase for someone who is actually quite blinkered and has made a judgement call on misinterpretation.

Someone who hasn't taken the time to be objective enough to have a rounded view.

Someone who has actually seen nothing in reality.

You call it as you see it as much as you like, fella.

And BTW I'll agree with your Oscars view.

After all, you've seen it and called it, so good enough for me...

Yeah I've definitely been one of those people to get riled. Like I'm aware I'm programmed to show tribalistic favouritism towards things that match up with who I am based on animal instinct and environmental upbringing and as such I'll always be somewhat biased. It's taken A LOT of introspection on my part but I've kind of realised that it stems from my own insecurities and knowing that has helped me start to see things a bit more objectively (still plenty of work yet to do so for me).

But basically, sort of trying to empathise with others (eg minorities) becomes a lot simpler when you realise we're all human, and regardless of creed we all have those same insecurities. And I realise that I only feel these ways occasionally (eg when Asian people kick off over a white male playing a traditionally Asian character), a typical black person for example, I can only assume, feels this way loads. Which makes part of me want to force these things through just so that those who constantly feel ignored or different or something else bad don't have to.

At the same time, I'm caught in a dilemma as there's a big part of me that believes in artistic integrity. Like I believe the best picture should win. Positive message or not. If a person suits a role, they should be cast, even if they don't fit. Forcing through positive issues does undermine other things.

But then again, I believe I lack the knowledge, wisdom, reasoning ability and honestly interest to try and go deep to measure the two up against one another to come up with some preferred, middle-ground or alternate outcome.

So my point is, neither way is truly ideal. But more importantly, neither way, specifically the overly inclusive PC way, is ANYWHERE near as bad people say. And as you say, why does it really matter? It's just fictional media.

ps. I must be honest so as not to come too much across as an arrogant prick to the others. There's a big part of me that likes seeing people get wound up over things that just aren't worth getting wound up about, at least for them. It selfishly boosts my own ego knowing that I don't. It's not good, but I prefer to delude myself and say it's a byproduct of going in the right direction.

I can agree with the majority of that, quite comfortably.

Good post.

Green book wins Best Picture, time to watch the world burn down. (I enjoyed the film, mind)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.