Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The Ordsall Link is part of it but the capacity increase also needs new platforms at Piccadilly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hub

In the meantime they are planning to divert some east-west services via Victoria, plus introduce some new ones - e.g. starting next month there's a new Chester-Leeds service via Manchester Victoria. This is relevant to me because I currently catch my train to the match (when I rail it) from Chester.

Unfortunately (for me) there's no current plan for a service after 9pm so its no good for night matches.

I work in Liverpool now and have to get the train over from there, first off prices vary for a reasonable £5 to £15 for a single - Usually I have to get there really early in order to save a tenner which is just bollocks anyway. I don't live in Liverpool so can't save money on a return, so would have to get a single back to Runcorn East or Widnes (again £10 for a single) neither of which are near by, so likely need a taxi from one of those, last time I got that a taxi back to mine from Runcorn East it cost £12 for a 4 mile journey.

It means that my options are to get the train home after work and pick the car up which likely means that I hit the M56 traffic at J7 at the shittest time possible or get the train there and try to find a lift home which is sometimes possible.

I'd love to find a better alternative for night matches as that side of things just saps the enjoyment out of it. I'm just not sure how the club/region can improve those sorts of links from people outside of the city.

That's just one of the issues with The Etihad there are no "cellars" for most of the bars so, not easy to install the necessary equipment for the fast pouring system

I thought they had a trial of the bottom filling glasses last season? That notwithstanding, there are plenty of multi-glass fillers that I've seen at Old Trafford (Cricket, not swamp) and festivals where they don't have cellars either. That, and getting the staff to move above glacial speed would help.

The Ordsall Link is part of it but the capacity increase also needs new platforms at Piccadilly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hub

In the meantime they are planning to divert some east-west services via Victoria, plus introduce some new ones - e.g. starting next month there's a new Chester-Leeds service via Manchester Victoria. This is relevant to me because I currently catch my train to the match (when I rail it) from Chester.

Unfortunately (for me) there's no current plan for a service after 9pm so its no good for night matches.

The Ordsall curve has been a complete waste of money. 2 of the 3 other investment programmes that it was contingent upon have been cancelled. As you say - extra tracks and platforms at Piccadilly were critical, planned and costed but ultimately cancelled and the electrification of the trans-Pennine line - been announced dozens of times but quietly cancelled and there is no political will to do this. Last plan was to electrify part of the line ! That plan is beyond comprehension but seems to make sense to Chris Grayling. Present plans are for another major round of rail investment in London with Crossrail 2 likely to get the full go ahead shortly.

I'd love to find a better alternative for night matches as that side of things just saps the enjoyment out of it. I'm just not sure how the club/region can improve those sorts of links from people outside of the city.

I don't know how handy it is for you but one potential option is the expanded park and ride facility at Newton-le-Willows.

I have recently started using this on occasions as there is now loads of parking and Newton is getting an increasingly good service to/from Manchester - i.e. 4-5 trains an hour, plus the new Chester-Leeds ones will also be stopping there.

An off-peak return Newton-Piccadilly is £7.80 and parking is free (for now at least).

I know it is all with the best intentions but suggestions of anything to do with building rail lines, new stations etc. are unfortunately pie in the sky. Cost v benefit, planning, logistics etc. virtually rule out the train option. Getting to and from the Etihad can be a real pain for some people as it is. I am convinced that any expansion will have to incorporate a traffic/travel strategy. I am also convinced better utilisation of what we have is the best option. That may include more buses, more trams, improved road strategy and better parking.

I remember going to white heart lane years ago and stopping at a mates in Clapham (just south of the river) I think we set of about 4 hours before the game. Couldn't believe it but it turned out about right.

Palace is also worth as special mention. Only done it on a coach but that is the arse end of the wrong side of london.

Palace is a nightmare on coach. Via train there are a few stations not too far away heading to London Bridge or London Victoria via East Croydon.

Brighton is a nightmare too but they do matchday trains to Brighton station. Usually carnage though. Just part of going to football really. I am sure the club want ours to differ and in the modern world transport links should be far better.

The main problems are the metro and traffic lights. The Metro should have 8 double car units set up for return to Manchester at full time. In addition all service shoukd terminate at the Etihad for 2 hours before a game and an hour after (poor power supply apparantly) -and-
The traffic light settings for up to 2 miles away. Its set for journeys in and out of central Manchester, not for journeys away from the Etihad.

I know it is all with the best intentions but suggestions of anything to do with building rail lines, new stations etc. are unfortunately pie in the sky. Cost v benefit, planning, logistics etc. virtually rule out the train option. Getting to and from the Etihad can be a real pain for some people as it is. I am convinced that any expansion will have to incorporate a traffic/travel strategy. I am also convinced better utilisation of what we have is the best option. That may include more buses, more trams, improved road strategy and better parking.
TfGM and Andy Burnham have a spatial framework project going on and nothing's going to change in the short term as they're seemingly talking about taking 5 yrs just to come up with potential options, so I agree, the club could do with some interim solutions. Tram-train seems a popular option in the long term and they've earmarked the Glossop and Marple lines as potentials, but these are of no use to fans if they're just running into & out of Piccadilly like the trains do. If they could run these services around the stadium from Ashburys to Victoria, we'd be sorted I reckon. Doubt it will happen, though.

The answer is buses, as posted upthread. Free buses lined up and ready to go without the farce of only boarding one at once, heading to the stations and offsite park and rides. Any other transport intervention will cost £Millions and cannot be justified for 30 home games and 10 concerts.

The railway station at the swamp is barely functional any more and that's due to a lack of trains, that, again, cost £millions and are not normally sitting around.

As for the ground - it's great. All seats have a good view and it's the right size for the support we have. I don't want a tiled bog; I do want faster beer service and that can be fixed with better staffing, training and management.
I suggested the same.

MCC should close Ashton New Road and Pollard Street post-game for 60 minutes.

The club should get a fleet of buses that they house on the club car parks through the week and line them up on ANR post-game and ship people back to Town with no traffic in their way.

They can use the same buses to take fans to away games or Wembley from the stadium if needed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.