Game of Thrones (season 8)

He is.

Getting very defensive there buddy.

I'll leave it there.

Hollyoaks might be more your cuppa ;-)

Yeah, funny that - it happens when people try and act superior and demonstrate basic lack of comprehension skills. Why not try Janet and John first eh?

And lads, as for Jaime Lannister...

Most of you have got this one so, so very wrong. This wasn't him riding off to side with Cersei. This was him getting out and knowing she wouldn't, and thinking he was unworthy of the trust and compassion everyone had shown him. He returned to face his fate on equal terms with Cersei.
That certainly makes very good sense and I think you're probably right, but I suppose the issue is that you have provided that explanation, not the writers. It's as if you/we as fans have to fill in the gaps they've left and provide a much better explanation of what happened than they could or did. Another example that springs to mind:
Everyone kept asking how Dany could have possible not seen the Iron Fleet approaching when she had a dragon's-eye view and vantgae point; in the 'inside the episode' featurette, one of the producers just said something like "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" - he was having to make up for this bit of bad writing, and I feel that too often the audience is having to do it, too
For there to be such confusion and disgreement over that character ending (and this is one of many confusing/ambiguous points to have arisen over the past two seasons) shows, I think, a lack of clarity in the writing rather than a lack of understanding from the audience.

That certainly makes very good sense and I think you're probably right, but I suppose the issue is that you have provided that explanation, not the writers. It's as if you/we as fans have to fill in the gaps they've left and provide a much better explanation of what happened than they could or did. Another example that springs to mind:
Everyone kept asking how Dany could have possible not seen the Iron Fleet approaching when she had a dragon's-eye view and vantgae point; in the 'inside the episode' featurette, one of the producers just said something like "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" - he was having to make up for this bit of bad writing, and I feel that too often the audience is having to do it, too
For there to be such confusion and disgreement over that character ending (and this is one of many confusing/ambiguous points to have arisen over the past two seasons) shows, I think, a lack of clarity in the writing rather than a lack of understanding from the audience.

One thing I would say is the writers are probably giving the audience too much credit right now.

They are so deep in that they are jumping to assumptions...that the whole audience is as clued in as they are etc.

This is normally an error made by novices or those lost in their own work, so it's surprising to see it here.

My biggest gripe is they haven't sufficiently explained the Lord of Light stuff to the audience(it is done more in the books), and Melissandre said a phrase to Arya that only Syrio Forel would have known(what do we say to the god of death?), without telling us how she knew that. I'd like that clarified as it's now implied the Lord of Light folk have been watching Arya since the start and known she is "the prince that was promised".

It was so beautifully filmed. Awesome. They chose the right arc for Dany.

It's just the hows and whys. If they do make sense then they are botching telling the stories. I mean, they are botching the telling of the stories - big time, but that just means I don't know if they make sense.

2 crappy reunion episodes where nothing happened and then complete all the arcs and massive battles in three hours.

TBH we were in trouble when 7 seasons of building up the wall and the watch were wiped out in a few seconds tacked on to the end of S7.

FFS, if you've written multiple fiction series, then I'd have thought you might be able to read as well. I knew exactly where it was going with her character, and hadn't the slightest issue with it. My problem is how they underwrote and rushed it at the end rather than doing it properly. Capiche?

Underwritten is putting it mildly. She started going mad at the end of the last episode, and went made this week. The signs were there. Did you not see her lip trembling? And the eye make-up this week?

It was supposed to be a tragedy but it's a tragic waste of a very worthwhile storyline. It might have worked if they'd not pulled so many fast ones and maintained the quality throughout.

Again I was completely slain by what someone wrote about her depiction in the books : Dany is profoundly troubled by the idea of her turning into a monster. At one point, she's in turmoil over this, and hears the grass talking to her, Jorah's voice, telling her she is a dragon. That is madness - the early signs thereof - written well. Awful, tragic, so personal. Loss and emptiness, the deepest fears, and the promise of uniqueness, power and destiny, whispered into your ear by your overwhelmed and malfunctioning self.

Dany? TV Dany? When did she act stupidly? Fail to weigh something up? Get completely caught up in something. Lose sight of reality. She's always lucid. She's so clear on the betrayals. She doesn't listen? No-one is even making a serious effort to talk to her or change her attitude or state of mind. Yes, the arc makes sense. Just not the depiction.

One thing I would say is the writers are probably giving the audience too much credit right now.

They are so deep in that they are jumping to assumptions...that the whole audience is as clued in as they are etc.

This is normally an error made by novices or those lost in their own work, so it's surprising to see it here.

My biggest gripe is they haven't sufficiently explained the Lord of Light stuff to the audience(it is done more in the books), and Melissandre said a phrase to Arya that only Syrio Forel would have known(what do we say to the god of death?), without telling us how she knew that. I'd like that clarified as it's now implied the Lord of Light folk have been watching Arya since the start and known she is "the prince that was promised".

Mate, I went there with Jamie after the Dragon raid on the Lannister army, and about a month later, I realised I was making it up completely. They just aren't explaining things, at all. There used to be clues and context that invited us to interpret and speculate with some understanding of who was who. But I realised we'd crossed the line and we basically were filling in the gaps AS WE WANTED because they hadn't bothered to deal with the characters properly in some time. Why is Jamie there? There could be a dozen interpretations. There's no subtle clues as to what they meant. Things don't tie together, characters, plots, mythos. They all just exist as they once did. They can't write the good stuff that makes it mean something, so they just say, well, if it matters, then you can make it up yourself.

I think the writers hate the fantasy element other than the dragons, it's all been written out, danced around, avoided or ignored.

He is.

Getting very defensive there buddy.

I'll leave it there.

Hollyoaks might be more your cuppa ;-)
I think you are both right. Yes, Danny has been showing some worrying personality traits for a good while. Yes, I think her final deterioration has been under written, either that or Emelia Clarke has been unable to convey her journey adequately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.