Spurs 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do have a sizeable Jewish support, I was in the Main Stand at Maine Road back in the 90’s and we were playing the Spuds. One of “ours” stood up and made a reference to Spurs about showers and Belsen. The Police had to get him out for his own safety.

My boss going back to the 70’s was Jewish and a Chelsea fan, he lived in Prestwich and Called himself the Yiddish Blue and made reference to the Yiddish population where he lived. However, at the time Asians were “pakis” even though some were Indians, Bangladeshi, etc, times have changed and the Jewish community find the Yid word unacceptable even though some of them still use it, we have to be tolerant and understanding of their culture and wishes, it’s just not acceptable anymore.

I still call Dipper fans twats though.

Don’t we all?

Baddiel was an idiot for sure, it totally backfired. Levy, Sugar and Lewis etc all Jewish have no problems with it at all

Anyway, this has been talked about ad nauseam

Are we stealing this battering song for the final?
Don't really think it would be stealing as they nicked it about 9th hand to start with, but if for the good of humanity Klopp keeps up his final's record and you twat the sanctimonious dippers all the way back to victimpool, I for one would smile contently whilst thinking I don't like songs about other clubs unless we are playing them, but that's quite catchy and erm the pain its causing them makes it sound like a chart topper.

That is precisely the point. Given what everyone knows, or could easily find out, about Spurs fans' intent when chanting the word yid, it is wholly unreasonable to be and to remain offended.

If we are to ignore context and intent entirely, as you suggest, then any word could conceivably be offensive to someone - which would mean, among other more important things, that no football club could call itself anything. And then we really would be in some difficulty.

But is is our context, not the context of the offended.

And there is no equivalence between Yid and Goomer, Blues, Hammer, Eagle, Toffee, Cottager, and Red Scouse scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.