UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been told that because this is about a breach of Uefa rules that all clubs agreed to be bound by, if found guilty, City won’t be able to take this matter through the civil courts. Does anyone have any further detail about this?
That's like saying if all club owners were Freemasons and were dealing drugs between each other member of that organisation then they could not be taken to court.

My understanding is that CAS is the last port of call to appeal against a UEFA ruling. However, City could still take a case that FFP is fundamentally illegal under EU competition law to the courts. If they do that and the case is decided in their favour FFP is dead and all previous UEFA judgements and sanctions on the subject are null and void. Then they could start chucking some libel and slander cases around.
The ECJ struck out decisions made by the Belgian FA and uefa, because they contravened EU laws on freedom of movement of workers in the Bosman case.
I think that that would set a precedent. It would seem inconceivable that any governing body in any sport or industry could attempt to prevent the right of anyone to go to law.

The ECJ struck out decisions made by the Belgian FA and uefa, because they contravened EU laws on freedom of movement of workers in the Bosman case.
I think that that would set a precedent. It would seem inconceivable that any governing body in any sport or industry could attempt to prevent the right of anyone to go to law.
I am certainly no expert on the law, but I think if you agree to go to arbitration you are bound by that decision, I would be surprised if we could go to CAS and then the courts over the same issue.

I am certainly no expert on the law, but I think if you agree to go to arbitration you are bound by that decision, I would be surprised if we could go to CAS and then the courts over the same issue.

It wouldn't be the same. City can only go to CAS about the application of UEFA rules, but they can go to law about the legality of them.

It certainly does not preclude going to court. Having agreed to arbitration might weaken the case in court as the party seeking legal action could be deemed to have forfeited this by agreeing to be bound by the arbitrators' decision. It would depend on the precise terms of the reference to the CAS.

Most construction contracts in the UK include provisions to refer disputes to Adjudication and also to Arbitration. It does not prevent cases subsequently arriving in the courts.

I agree up to a point. Originally they put the barrier in place and, with growing alarm, they have consistently kept on raising it as the City surge has developed into a tsunami. They'll keep on doing it too. Good job we made it across the drawbridge before the moat became too wide to cross.
Tsunami in a moat?
Can’t see it myself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/sports/for-europes-soccer-chief-the-outrage-arrives-in-waves.html

Interesting article. Can see all the different lobbies in UEFA and interestingly, Ceferin the UEFA president is very very close to Agnelli, the Juve boss.
So, UEFA president Ceferin is a friend of Agnelli (Juventus and ECA president and G4's frontman) and a godfather of his daughter. Surely there's a conflict of interests that could be legally proven?

It's interesting that the article mentions La Liga president Javier fucking Tebas as the most vocal amongst league representatives, opposing Agnelli's 'Champions Superleague for the rich' plan. I, for one, don't believe for a second that Tebas has La Liga's best interest as a priority, he definitely works for Madrid and Barca. It looks like a typical political trick - an attempt to take over the opposition movement to turn it in desired direction when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.