Ndombele (signed for Spurs)

A manager doesn’t have to have won anything in order for players to want to play for him. That would be an incredibly narrow, unimaginative and just plain ignorant definition. Pochettino has taken Spurs to an altogether different level since taking on the job. All on a wage budget that is as little as half that of his domestic rivals and a transfer budget that has been nigh on non existent at times - other than when selling first. The players love him and love playing for him. They know his qualities rather better than you do, I suspect. Same was true of Southampton players at his previous job.

By moving to Spurs, Ndombele will automatically be taking a big step up, simply by virtue of playing in the Premier League week in, week out instead of Ligue 1. The main criticism I’ve read about him is that he can be a bit too casual in games against the lesser teams. He could probably get away with that in France. He won’t in England. So he will have to become more consistent. Thus his development will continue.

As to the contract issue, you misunderstand. The point I was making is that no right thinking club is going to pay £60m to sign a top, young player on a mere three year contract. They might as well piss the money away. If Ndombele was to move from Lyon this summer, as he wished, he had to accept that it was inevitably going to be on a long contract. At that price, he wasn’t going to be offered anything less.

Not sure what your point is about Eriksen. He hasn’t wanted to leave until this summer - and even then, only if Real or Barca come in for him. And he might still get his wish. He hasn’t been kept against his will. He is on something in the region of £75K per week (hardly low wages!) and the offer to double that has been on the table for more than a year. His choice not to take it thus far. Besides which, he is one of the few players for whom money has never been the prime motivation. He had the opportunity to join Barca before he joined Spurs and turned it down because he didn’t deem it a good career move at the time.
Spurs have slipped back significantly in the league in the last couple of seasons. Your points return has gone from 86 to 77 to 71 points over the last 3 seasons but as you say Spurs have not invested in the team so what can you expect.

By all accounts Ndombele is a good player and has been linked to lots of top clubs. Apparently he played well against City but I didn't know who he was at the time so didn't look out for him, and his performance passed me by. There have been a few individual performances that have been so good that you go away from the ground talking about them and remember them forever. Bernardo Silva for Monaco a couple of seasons ago comes into that category. Obviously different types of player.

There are only two clubs in the league I take an active dislike to which are Man Utd and Liverpool so if you do well enough to displace them, I will be happy about that.

I imagine Spurs, City and Liverpool fans are probably the three groups of fans who are most optimistic about next season.

A manager doesn’t have to have won anything in order for players to want to play for him. That would be an incredibly narrow, unimaginative and just plain ignorant definition. Pochettino has taken Spurs to an altogether different level since taking on the job. All on a wage budget that is as little as half that of his domestic rivals and a transfer budget that has been nigh on non existent at times - other than when selling first. The players love him and love playing for him. They know his qualities rather better than you do, I suspect. Same was true of Southampton players at his previous job.

By moving to Spurs, Ndombele will automatically be taking a big step up, simply by virtue of playing in the Premier League week in, week out instead of Ligue 1. The main criticism I’ve read about him is that he can be a bit too casual in games against the lesser teams. He could probably get away with that in France. He won’t in England. So he will have to become more consistent. Thus his development will continue.

As to the contract issue, you misunderstand. The point I was making is that no right thinking club is going to pay £60m to sign a top, young player on a mere three year contract. They might as well piss the money away. If Ndombele was to move from Lyon this summer, as he wished, he had to accept that it was inevitably going to be on a long contract. At that price, he wasn’t going to be offered anything less.

Not sure what your point is about Eriksen. He hasn’t wanted to leave until this summer - and even then, only if Real or Barca come in for him. And he might still get his wish. He hasn’t been kept against his will. He is on something in the region of £75K per week (hardly low wages!) and the offer to double that has been on the table for more than a year. His choice not to take it thus far. Besides which, he is one of the few players for whom money has never been the prime motivation. He had the opportunity to join Barca before he joined Spurs and turned it down because he didn’t deem it a good career move at the time.

Agreed. People loved talking about Klopp not winning anything at Liverpool for the past few years as well before he won the CL, but you could see that he was a good coach with a good system. As regards to Ndombele he can be a good player for Spurs, but that doesn't means we missed a tick for not signing him. If we get Rodri he seems a better fit for us because he has played as a single pivot before with Villareal and even the Spain NT. He's just better suited for us where as Ndombele has played in a 2 man midfield with Lyon and would suit Spurs better as they play with a 2 as well.

Solid post and I mostly agree with what you’re saying but Eriken on 75k a week is a flat out robbery for one of the best attacking mids in world football and NDombele risks being trapped if he signs for Spurs for potentially 8 or so seasons. Check my post up above for a little more of what I saying about that. I applaud Eriksen running his contract down because if he signs the extension he’ll never get out.

In many ways I respect the way Levy runs the ship but it’s definitely a huge gamble signing for your club in the players position. What is the rumored wages for Tanguy? I hope he’s content with that and not anxious for a small pay rise after a year or two because as of now I see it as a trap if he extends after 2 seasons.

Still think your fantasizing that Poch is a big draw, he has taken Tottenham to a new level alright they have never been so dull or dirty, and on a wage budget that will really entice quality players to join, and Erikson has wanted to leave for years but could not,not many players believe that success is the ability to buy the owners a nice shiny new stadium for their portfolio instead of medals to show the grand kids

Still think your fantasizing that Poch is a big draw, he has taken Tottenham to a new level alright they have never been so dull or dirty, and on a wage budget that will really entice quality players to join, and Erikson has wanted to leave for years but could not,not many players believe that success is the ability to buy the owners a nice shiny new stadium for their portfolio instead of medals to show the grand kids

Yawn. Okay, fella, you know better than the players and Ndombele and everyone else on this thread.......sigh.

And no, Eriksen hasn't wanted to leave before now. In fact, he has said that he would be happy to stay and sign a new contract if neither Real Madrid nor Barca come in for him. Looks as though Real might - even if Zidane isn't exactly totally sold on the player.

Anyway, Ndombele.......

Think his signing will be announced by Spurs this afternoon.

Last edited:
Spurs have slipped back significantly in the league in the last couple of seasons. Your points return has gone from 86 to 77 to 71 points over the last 3 seasons but as you say Spurs have not invested in the team so what can you expect.

By all accounts Ndombele is a good player and has been linked to lots of top clubs. Apparently he played well against City but I didn't know who he was at the time so didn't look out for him, and his performance passed me by. There have been a few individual performances that have been so good that you go away from the ground talking about them and remember them forever. Bernardo Silva for Monaco a couple of seasons ago comes into that category. Obviously different types of player.

There are only two clubs in the league I take an active dislike to which are Man Utd and Liverpool so if you do well enough to displace them, I will be happy about that.

I imagine Spurs, City and Liverpool fans are probably the three groups of fans who are most optimistic about next season.

Yep. Can't argue with that. Lack of signings, plus loss of / physical decline of Dembele, has definitely contributed. But there are other factors too. The World Cup for one. Spurs had more players there until the final weekend than any other club. So a lack of rest and a truncated pre season (especially important for Poch teams). Injuries took their toll too. It all really showed in the final few months of the season.

Shouldn't underestimate the effect of playing two seasons at Wembley either. In addition to which, the 86 points in the last season at the Lane was largely the consequence of a phenomenal home record of 17 wins and 2 draws. There was something special about that last season at the Lane. So the 86 points total was a bit of an outlier.

Solid post and I mostly agree with what you’re saying but Eriken on 75k a week is a flat out robbery for one of the best attacking mids in world football and NDombele risks being trapped if he signs for Spurs for potentially 8 or so seasons. Check my post up above for a little more of what I saying about that. I applaud Eriksen running his contract down because if he signs the extension he’ll never get out.

In many ways I respect the way Levy runs the ship but it’s definitely a huge gamble signing for your club in the players position. What is the rumored wages for Tanguy? I hope he’s content with that and not anxious for a small pay rise after a year or two because as of now I see it as a trap if he extends after 2 seasons.

Ndombele is rumoured to have been offered towards the top end of our wage scale. Kane's on at least £200K per week so I'd guess that Ndombele will be on something like £150K pw - which will be a £130K pw increase on his reported salary at Lyon.

Yep. Can't argue with that. Lack of signings, plus loss of / physical decline of Dembele, has definitely contributed. But there are other factors too. The World Cup for one. Spurs had more players there until the final weekend than any other club. So a lack of rest and a truncated pre season (especially important for Poch teams). Injuries took their toll too. It all really showed in the final few months of the season.

Shouldn't underestimate the effect of playing two seasons at Wembley either. In addition to which, the 86 points in the last season at the Lane was largely the consequence of a phenomenal home record of 17 wins and 2 draws. There was something special about that last season at the Lane. So the 86 points total was a bit of an outlier.

Ndombele is rumoured to have been offered towards the top end of our wage scale. Kane's on at least £200K per week so I'd guess that Ndombele will be on something like £150K pw - which will be a £130K pw increase on his reported salary at Lyon.

That's a very respectable number if that's the case and any extension would probably make my argument invalid then. Congrats on landing him :-)

I agree with Marvin. Out of the top 6 you guys are definitely the ones that I'd love to see finish second. I've been a big Son fan for awhile now so it's not surprising to me how well he's doing. What's the general consensus on Dele for you lot? Pretty sure I'd despise him if I was a tottenham supporter.

That's a very respectable number if that's the case and any extension would probably make my argument invalid then. Congrats on landing him :-)

I agree with Marvin. Out of the top 6 you guys are definitely the ones that I'd love to see finish second. I've been a big Son fan for awhile now so it's not surprising to me how well he's doing. What's the general consensus on Dele for you lot? Pretty sure I'd despise him if I was a tottenham supporter.

Don't want to take this thread off track too much. So briefly.....Dele falls in the bracket of "he might be a wanker but he's our wanker". Very much off the boil last two seasons. Needs to get back to his form from before that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.