Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps going on about this needs for height and physicality in central defence for dealing with set pieces, when in we didn’t concede a single headed league goal from a set piece who was being marked by a central defender.

Well we did but it was a diving header from Koscielny about 6 inches off the ground in case someone wants to be pedantic, I can’t remember who got caught ball watching to let him in to be fair but it was a central defender.
Delph and Laporte I believe.

Pep is a perfectionist, he will see minor problems when no one else does. That’s why he is as good as he is but it doesn’t mean he will alter something that’s clearly working very well to fix that minor problem at all costs. It’s a balancing act.

Maybe most times lack of height won't hurt us, but to your point about being a perfectionist he does see things that can harm us even though we win most games. Against Watford in the league we won 3-1. Even though the game was done and dusted Watford lumped a goal kick which Kompany missed and Deeney headed it directly into the path of Deulofeu who slotted it home. If we have situations where we are winning by 1 goal lots of these teams will revert to lump ball and it can cause problems for us. There's been some set pieces that hurt us. Chelsea's 2nd goal at the bridge. Brighton when they scored 1st on the last day. It's not only about headed goals. Rondon bullied his way to getting a goal against Newcastle. I'm sure Pep looks at a lot of situations which never actually leaded goal, but was a clear shot that the opposing player just missed and thought that we need to prevent that from happening.

You mean those two league goals we conceded to headers, all fucking two of them.

The Sterling thing was to make you see how stupid what you’re saying is. Would you really replace him to score two header goals a season, exactly, no you wouldn’t.

Headers has fuck all to do with what Sterling has to do on a pitch whilst it's a massive part of a CBs game. And your only targeting direct headed goals conceded as your argument that we don't need height in our backline? You are calling me stupid for agreeing with something Pep has said.
You're an actual moron

Headers has fuck all to do with what Sterling has to do on a pitch whilst it's a massive part of a CBs game. And your only targeting direct headed goals conceded as your argument that we don't need height in our backline? You are calling me stupid for agreeing with something Pep has said.
You're an actual moron
Calling someone an actual moron when you’ve clearly not understood the post you’ve replied to is quite amusing.

Let me spell it out, the initial Sterling comment was a sarcastic piss take. Repeat it back to yourself a few times, hopefully it’ll eventually sink in.

Step forward Alderwiereld.

He's so much more accomplished and experienced, overall game is great compared to Maguire. But I guess he's too valuable for Spurs and could well renew his contract given past season. I hope if there's any opportunity we go for him

Calling someone an actual moron when you’ve clearly not understood the post you’ve replied to is quite amusing.

Let me spell it out, the initial Sterling comment was a sarcastic piss take. Repeat it back to yourself a few times, hopefully it’ll eventually sink in.

You're a moron for feeling the need to reply to something Pep said with a "sarcastic piss take".

Maybe most times lack of height won't hurt us, but to your point about being a perfectionist he does see things that can harm us even though we win most games. Against Watford in the league we won 3-1. Even though the game was done and dusted Watford lumped a goal kick which Kompany missed and Deeney headed it directly into the path of Deulofeu who slotted it home. If we have situations where we are winning by 1 goal lots of these teams will revert to lump ball and it can cause problems for us. There's been some set pieces that hurt us. Chelsea's 2nd goal at the bridge. Brighton when they scored 1st on the last day. It's not only about headed goals. Rondon bullied his way to getting a goal against Newcastle. I'm sure Pep looks at a lot of situations which never actually leaded goal, but was a clear shot that the opposing player just missed and thought that we need to prevent that from happening.
Risk vs reward

If Pep thought height and physicality were so vitally important he wouldn’t have ever bought Stones or Laporte. There’s taller, more physical central defenders as I’m sure you will agree. The fact is playing the way we do, controlling possession is far more valuable to protecting a lead than being able to defend the odd set piece and punt upfield. That’s not to say height and physicality isn’t important but that’s were you have to get the best all round fit, someone who can do everything well but doesn’t have any significant glaring weaknesses.

Of course we’re going to get caught out occasionally, it’s football shit happens but you don’t try and rectify one minor issue by buying a big ćunt. That’s like having a mint missus but then fucking off with a big fat lass because she’s got bigger tits, even though she’s a cross between Luke Chadwick and Phil Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.