Bluemoon Angling Thread

I really want to try it. I love the idea but am basically clueless. I was away in the caravan this weekend and the site is also a course fishery. Watching folk sitting peacefully and then a bit of action getting something biting was great.

I really want to try it. I love the idea but am basically clueless. I was away in the caravan this weekend and the site is also a course fishery. Watching folk sitting peacefully and then a bit of action getting something biting was great.
As a late comer to fishing, it's something I truely wished I'd started when I was a lot younger, go to your local tackle shop and tell them you want to start fishing they will set you up and off you go, YouTube can be a great source of information, unless like me you have a friend who was willing to be patient

Like peacefrog said, having a friend who is willing to teach you the basics is a big help. Otherwise I think if you get talking to a friendly angler on the bank, you may get some advice on setting up. There's usually help and advice at hand from a tackle dealer who will have local knowledge of where to try fishing in your area.

I've heard the "fishing is crap, went when I was a kid and caught nowt" line many a time. This is most likely because they had nobody to show them the basics. And learning the basics is crucial to getting hooked on angling, otherwise people get frustrated by failure. YouTube is good for offering angling advice on things like where to fish, what tackle to use, bait, what method, like a rod and reel fishing a float, pole fishing, ledgering. These are basic fishing styles, but as an angler for 49 years since my dad first took me to hollingworth lake as a 6 year old, it's easy for me to talk fishing. I understand that talking fishing is a minefield with a raw beginner, but hey, don't be put off.

Where was the caravan site and what area are you in? Maybe I or someone else here can help point you in the direction of joining a club that will have waters suitable for beginners. There's are also lots of day ticket waters called commercial fisheries. These type of waters(usually ponds and man made lakes) are tailor-made for the beginner, and perhaps the best type of place to start. I don't fish these types of waters myself as they are too easy. I'm not boasting but I have caught over 100lb of fish on commercial fisheries more than once. I like the challenge of fishing natural harder waters that are not stocked, particular rivers. But rivers are not the best place to start IMO, as it takes years to learn 'river craft', which means reading the river for tell tale features of flow and depth, where different species of fish are likely to be in the river, weeds,and sunken trees, bankside vegetation and overhanging trees that cover a sanctuary for fish, particularly chub. Water craft takes years to learn and I and ever other angler never stops learning new techniques methods and approach on how to fish. And through knowledge experience and gut feeling, this can help you choose the best place to fish on a water you've never fished before.

Anyway, go for it and anytime you want advice then don't be afraid to ask a question or two.

Good luck and future tight lines: )

Last edited:
I first fell in love with angling through a book. Mr Crabtree goes fishing which I got as a present when I was around 6. I loved the illustration of Mr Crabtree with his pipe and young Peter as they fished for every species that swims in a river. The watercolours of fish were especially good. I remember a phrase used that Chub had a catholic appetite. As a Sunday school attending CofE six year old, I wondered why Chub had decided to join the ‘other lot’.

With that mystery still unresolved, I first went fishing with a cousin on the canal near Ulverston and he managed to catch a perch on a bubble float and worm. Then we were on holiday in Sedgwick? Just outside Kendal, there was a swing bridge over the river from which you could see the salmon and trout holding in the current below. I managed to catch the only eel in the river which frightened the life out of me when it climbed up the line and halfway down the rod. A fellow angler took charge and said the only way to deal with eels was to cut their heads off, which he duly did with a very large Rambo type knife. The rest of the eel was placed in the bucket that I used for making sand castles and I was horrified/fascinated to see the headless body still moving hours later. These things stick in your mind!

When I was 10 we moved to Richmond in Yorkshire and the beautiful River Swale and I was finally free to fish as often as I wanted. Just to reiterate what has been said, the local tackle shop is a mine of info, if you have a friend that already fishes, brilliant. Mine had a penchant for storing maggots in his mouth and falling off the top of the falls at Richmond. He was a pretty good angler though. We used to learn loads just by talking to other anglers as well. I remember a guy asking to fish next to us one day. He had a lovely West Country accent and told us his home river was the Kennet. He proceeded to ground bait his/our swim and didn’t fish for the first couple of hours. We had never seen the like, nobody used ground bait where we fished. We thought him to be a bit excentric, a posh southerner using his fancy dan methods oop North. By the end of th3 day, we had revised our opinion, he had caught just about every fish in the river and completed a Swale slam. Not quite the same as a grand slam of permit, bonefish and tarpon but impressive to our young minds nonetheless. A Swale slam for the uninitiated was every species to be found in the river at Richmond; Trout, Grayling, Dace, Chub, Barbel.

I thank god that I got into angling, it has provided a lifetime of memorable experiences, an appreciation of the great outdoors and nature and a bunch of great friends. If everyone fished the world would be a better place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.