Armed police

How many police officers, in a gun soaked culture as the US, actually shot their weapons in the line of duty last year?

You’d be surprised how few. There are waaaay more officers who retire without ever having shot their gun than did.

The notion that the US is the Wild Wild West is from YouTube!

Police use their weapons as DEFENSIVE TOOLS, not offensive. And, they use it to neutralize the threat to themselves far more than any other reason, such as chasing down a criminal. Yes, we have all seen a video or two, but having had the training, seen the real thing, and being ready, willing and, more importantly, able to use a gun to defend my life, many of you have no idea about actual guns and their use by police.

Good luck with the meltdown of what is left of British society.

Ah yeah when a classic brake light stop results in an officer needing to shoot a man dead infront of his family, who is just grabbing his identification. Great training.

Ah yeah when a classic brake light stop results in an officer needing to shoot a man dead infront of his family, who is just grabbing his identification. Great training.
Well done!

You have no idea who I am, what training I had had, or why, but well done.

You do know he DID have a gun and was NOT listening to what the officer said, right?

Whether he should have ended up dead is another matter, but don’t act like it was Joe Blow Manc driving home from work and reaching into his pocket for his drivers license!

Do you know how long it takes to draw a concealed gun and shoot someone at point blank range? Take your own reaction time OFF that figure, and THAT is you window of safety when someone is reaching around when you’ve told them to do otherwise!

Sometimes, the public carrying guns is stupid!!

Well done!

You have no idea who I am, what training I had had, or why, but well done.

You do know he DID have a gun and was NOT listening to what the officer said, right?

Whether he should have ended up dead is another matter, but don’t act like it was Joe Blow Manc driving home from work and reaching into his pocket for his drivers license!

Do you know how long it takes to draw a concealed gun and shoot someone at point blank range? Take your own reaction time OFF that figure, and THAT is you window of safety when someone is reaching around when you’ve told them to do otherwise!

Sometimes, the public carrying guns is stupid!!

do the American police carry taser guns??? just another option to putting a bullet in someone however as above the police officer has to cover his life at all costs,the lesson we know if your pulled aside make your hands seen and no rash movements 'its not hard to follow those basic rules'

Good luck with that!

Given the current, at least 30 yr, trajectory of the number of crimes and criminals, it’ll take a lot more than goodwill and a few quid diverted from guns to protect police to fix what ails Manchester and the rest of urban England.
Funny it worked in Glasgow then mate.

In the vast majority of cases it’s people who refuse to follow instructions that wind up getting shot in America. It’s not hard is it? Probably just Darwinism at work.

All armed police are taught to neutralise the threat, not to just kill. They aren't soldiers. Those that want to carry guns in hopes of getting to use them should hopefully be weeded out in the application process. Do people sometimes die? Yes, unfortunately, but that isn't the goal.

I'll add, consciously deciding to try and shoot the legs of an assailant isn't the best way to do it. They are moving, you (the police) should be moving offline if you are being charged at and the legs are a relatively small target, which will be moving as well. You'll be getting an adrenaline dump, if you haven't already gotten it, making your fine motor skills harder to use. Shooting centre mass is what the armed police officer will be taught. It gives you a bigger target thus a better chance to stop the threat.
We use to call it T-bone..

do the American police carry taser guns??? just another option to putting a bullet in someone however as above the police officer has to cover his life at all costs,the lesson we know if your pulled aside make your hands seen and no rash movements 'its not hard to follow those basic rules'
Absolutely!

The biggest fear for cops is being shot. However, close thereto is becoming involved in physical violence. Cops carry deadly weapons and in the hands of the wrong guy in a physical altercation, that means being killed.

Anyone who is willing to engage in physical violence with a cop carrying a deadly weapon has already crossed a line few people would ever even think of crossing.

And, I have seen cops giving the guy the benefit of the doubt (as in “I’m sure this guy isn’t THAT guy”) only to be slaughtered, right there where he stood...all caught on HD video.

See that once as a cop...giving the perp the benefit of the doubt and watching him die because of it...wakes you up to the fact that you just never know, and ANYONE UNWILLING TO COMPLY POSES A DEADLY THREAT!

Iceland, New Zealand, Norway and the UK that i am aware of.

There will always be tragic examples of "if only", but given the still ongoing controversy around the Mendes case from 5 (?) years ago, even on this very thread, doesn't that highlight the issues with giving more coppers more guns.

Let's say the copper had at parliament had a gun and he shot the assailant - all is good with the world yeah? The following week, another random person runs at him with what looks like a knife, copper shoots random guy, turns out it was just a phone - an extra dead person, another innocent dead person.

Now if you can provide evidence of a country where the introduction of firearms has lead to a reduction in crimes i will be all ears.
Sorry, that argument makes no sense. If the cop was armed, his murderer would have been shot, almost certainly to death, inventing fantastic scenarios to justify not arming him is ludicrous.
It's like armed police cornering armed terrorists, shooting them, and an accidental ricochet killing some innocent in the area.
As a result, police should therefore never be armed.
If the cop had a gun at parliament, he'd be alive now, simple as.

Good luck with that!

Given the current, at least 30 yr, trajectory of the number of crimes and criminals, it’ll take a lot more than goodwill and a few quid diverted from guns to protect police to fix what ails Manchester and the rest of urban England.

Dude, just do us all a favour and stop drinking from the NRA Koolaid.

Your 30 year trajectory is nonsense. Homicide rates in the UK are broadly in line with the 70's and 80's, see a sample below (every year ending in 4 used as 2014 was the latest i could find). They went up in the late 90's early Noughties and have been going down since then.

1974 - 599
1984 - 537
1994 - 632
2004/05 - 765
2014/15 - 518

This link (https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938170/us-police-shootings-gun-violence-homicides) shows that in 2016, US officers shot dead 458 people. Compare this to the UK 0, Japan 0 and Germany 8. You are in the wrong. All the statistics continuously show that more guns equals more gun incidents, injuries and deaths.

We know that you like to furiously masturbate whilst holding your gun, that's cool, you went to the US so you could do it freely, again thats cool, just stop trying to tell us (the people who still live here) that the UK is Soddom and Gomorrah and that they only way to solve this is to give all our cops guns. Its fucking nonsense, its the same type of crap that Nigel and his mates are pushing.

I think its a tragedy when anyone is shot, be it a Cop, a Robber, a soldier or a schoolkid. The way to reduce these occurrences is to reduce the amount of guns. "It is sobering that in the US in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 US school-age children were killed by firearms".

Please stop telling people who live in the UK that we need more guns, we don't.

Dude, just do us all a favour and stop drinking from the NRA Koolaid.

Your 30 year trajectory is nonsense. Homicide rates in the UK are broadly in line with the 70's and 80's, see a sample below (every year ending in 4 used as 2014 was the latest i could find). They went up in the late 90's early Noughties and have been going down since then.

1974 - 599
1984 - 537
1994 - 632
2004/05 - 765
2014/15 - 518

This link (https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938170/us-police-shootings-gun-violence-homicides) shows that in 2016, US officers shot dead 458 people. Compare this to the UK 0, Japan 0 and Germany 8. You are in the wrong. All the statistics continuously show that more guns equals more gun incidents, injuries and deaths.

We know that you like to furiously masturbate whilst holding your gun, that's cool, you went to the US so you could do it freely, again thats cool, just stop trying to tell us (the people who still live here) that the UK is Soddom and Gomorrah and that they only way to solve this is to give all our cops guns. Its fucking nonsense, its the same type of crap that Nigel and his mates are pushing.

I think its a tragedy when anyone is shot, be it a Cop, a Robber, a soldier or a schoolkid. The way to reduce these occurrences is to reduce the amount of guns. "It is sobering that in the US in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 US school-age children were killed by firearms".

Please stop telling people who live in the UK that we need more guns, we don't.
I’m not advocating that the UK allow all snd sundry to have guns, only police.

And, the rest of the uninformed drivel I will leave well alone.

You have no fucking clue who I am, or my affiliations or personal likes and dislikes. Projection looks bad on anyone, but you’re so far out there it’s ridiculous!

You state “facts” as cause and effect where none exists and then extrapolate from there! Well done, you!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.