The most challenging thing you’ve done?

I did the stand up circuit for quite a few years. Used to hate how nervous I would be for the entire day when I was doing a big club in the evening. Couldn't eat all day

Been thinking long & hard about this thread and I suppose being supportive for Mrs Moon during 2 bouts of Cancer is the answer, especially the second one which resulted in a Stem Cell transplant 3 years ago was so hard.

The support network for patents at places like Christie is fantastic but information & help for the person on the outside who is there 24/7 is/was crap. Luckily I'm mentally strong and was able to do what I needed & say the right things etc. I'd not wish it on anyone.

The illness resulted in my wife giving up work and following a dream by going S/E as a Spiritual Medium. I have no belief in that stuff but I go along to her events & festivals she performs in to set her stuff up etc & yesterday there was a McMillan stall there I was chatting to the girls on the stall and talking about the lack of support for partners ., not only mentally but in how to help patents and they said they've identified this issue of secondary support and are now trying to address it. Hopefully in the future support will be there for people.

Anyway I've digressed a little. Looking after my wife back to health was my biggest challenge and is my proudest moment.

Very similar, it’s tough, third month in and I was turning over around a grand a month I thought wtf have I done here, things run a lot better now but it’s still stressful, I couldn’t work for anyone else though. For anyone in a similar position especially in later life I’d say go for it, it’s surprising how motivated you become when effort and application equals income.

Turnover is vanity, only profit is sanity. There's a long way to go, enjoy it.

Been thinking long & hard about this thread and I suppose being supportive for Mrs Moon during 2 bouts of Cancer is the answer, especially the second one which resulted in a Stem Cell transplant 3 years ago was so hard.

The support network for patents at places like Christie is fantastic but information & help for the person on the outside who is there 24/7 is/was crap. Luckily I'm mentally strong and was able to do what I needed & say the right things etc. I'd not wish it on anyone.

The illness resulted in my wife giving up work and following a dream by going S/E as a Spiritual Medium. I have no belief in that stuff but I go along to her events & festivals she performs in to set her stuff up etc & yesterday there was a McMillan stall there I was chatting to the girls on the stall and talking about the lack of support for partners ., not only mentally but in how to help patents and they said they've identified this issue of secondary support and are now trying to address it. Hopefully in the future support will be there for people.

Anyway I've digressed a little. Looking after my wife back to health was my biggest challenge and is my proudest moment.
What Neil said ^^^^ I'm on a very similar journey...

Turnover is vanity, only profit is sanity. There's a long way to go, enjoy it.
I’m six years down the line now, my Courier business is doing well and I also manage the Finance for a large retail Garage on a self employed basis. I work about 24 - 28 hours a week and enjoy life. In the early days when I was doing the Driving for the Courier business I was making less than £200 a week and it was worrying.

For anyone looking to go self employed:

First year - you look after the Business
Second year - you look after each other
Third Year - the Business looks after you

Also when looking at your pricing and profit/loss budgeting be completely honest, usual transparent expenses but factor in tax, Accountancy fees, holiday pay for yourself and if you employ anyone, NI and Pension contributions and the VAT is not yours!!

Also consider flat rate VAT, if you take £120 including VAT you pay HMRC £12 instead of the £20, rates do vary though and you can’t claim back VAT on purchases other than capital expenditure over £2k.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.