Var debate 2019/20

One of the broadcasters really should do a show on how VAR works in that case, I'd be really interested in seeing how it's done and to see what tolerances are used. They obviously can't use the cameras for it so how are they measuring these things? I don't know anything about Hawkeye (is that the one used in cricket?) but that could be possible if it uses GPS or something, I don't know how they would use it to decide where Sterling's shoulder ends and his arm begins for the first disallowed goal though. I must admit to being slightly dubious about it just because it's Walton though!
Its an important step, so I agree one of the broadcasters need to do a documentary showing us the technology, if that happened then we might all feel better about it.

I'm no fan of Walton, I've seen him cheat far too often in games we've played, but its good to hear a referee explaining how its used, and it would be very good to see a documentary on it.

Hawkeye was first used in tennis I think, for line decisions, and its quite old, I think cricket then started using it as well, it may well be what the goal line technology uses now, I'm not sure, but it'll have developed considerably over the years.

For TV viewers and match attendees you can't validate VAR offside decisions. There needs to be a split screen for VAR decisions. A box in the top left showing the passer and the rest of the screen the side view of the pitch. Then you can validate when the ball was played (when the passer touches the ball in the passing movement) and the offside view at the point where the ball was passed. On TV you can rewind it and replay to validate the decision.
Walton seemed to imply earlier that technology is being used to decide, which was shown to managers and captains this week.

Not read any of the thread. I hate VAR and it's now at the point where I only half celebrate every goal because of the possibility of it not standing, as such it is ruining my enjoyment of the game. I would rather take any number of injustices if it meant bringing back the spontaneity!

I thought it was " clear and OBVIOUS" errors 1mm in the armpit isnt clear and obvious!!
Apparently not mate, even half a mm offside is enough to overrule a decision.

We just got one out of the way while comfortably leading, there'll be a lot of these late in tight games.

When it comes to arms/head/shoulders...it's simple to only apply them as offside only IF they are used in action of moving the ball...so a header or shoulder action.

Otherwise it should be knee or foot, whichever is furthest forward.

Not hard to fix is it?

This season is going to be a joke if today is anything to go by.

Didn’t matter to us today, but it will at some crucial point.

I thought the one they disallowed was a goal and the one they allowed might have been off.
The keeper did jump forward for the penalty, but if this is going to be the norm the stop start is going to ruin the enjoyment.

Goes back to this question I plan to put to the FA and PL (not that I will actually get a response):

With Tv the frame rate is only 24 per second which adds to the margin of error It’s clear to me that if it’s so tight as to have to start drawing lines to determine a decision then that decision should stay with the on-field official There is also the fact that the camera is at an angle, in most cases, yet they draw a reference line, again a margin of error So you have a very valid question, unfortunately you won’t get an answer

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.