Coventry

To be honest, it should have been bombed by the Enola Gay, who must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.
My father and the rest of the family were living in coventry in 1940, he never spoke about it much, but he did tell me once that he woke up in the shelter one morning and looked out to see all the houses over the road flattened. He said he lost all his schoolmates ! I believe he would have been 10 years old at the time, I believe he never got over it for the rest of his life.

Went to visit London taxis international many years ago,little known fact that black cabs are manufactured in Coventry and are exported worldwide,they still use mostly traditional methods rather than the mass scale modern car robot factories.

Went to visit London taxis international many years ago,little known fact that black cabs are manufactured in Coventry and are exported worldwide,they still use mostly traditional methods rather than the mass scale modern car robot factories.
Yep, on the Holyhead Road. They used to make tanks in the same area and would often see one going up Holyhead Road on a test drive!
When I left school most of us got a job in the car / motor industry..... Jaguar, Standard, the black cabs, Chrysler (soon to be Talbot) or Massey Ferguson factory right next to the school and now a housing estate i believe.

Probably why they went bust twice.

My father and the rest of the family were living in coventry in 1940, he never spoke about it much, but he did tell me once that he woke up in the shelter one morning and looked out to see all the houses over the road flattened. He said he lost all his schoolmates ! I believe he would have been 10 years old at the time, I believe he never got over it for the rest of his life.
I think the degree of bombing was due to the location of the armament factories (bona fide or makeshift) close to the town centre and within residential areas. It was a town with personality by all accounts; not classically pretty perhaps, but interesting and distinctive. The bombing took that personality away, never to return.

The level of destruction would have deeply affected anyone, never mind a ten year old boy.

Wasn't it Coventry at Maine Road when Richard Edghill got booed so much he couldn't come out for the second half?

Yep, on the Holyhead Road. They used to make tanks in the same area and would often see one going up Holyhead Road on a test drive!
When I left school most of us got a job in the car / motor industry..... Jaguar, Standard, the black cabs, Chrysler (soon to be Talbot) or Massey Ferguson factory right next to the school and now a housing estate i believe.

Massey Ferguson...housing estate
Alvis...Morrisons
Standard...KFC, etc mini business park
Triumph...Sainsbury's
Dunlop...housing estate
Jaguar...desolate industrial estate
Peugeot...warehouse distribution

Yours and my old school...closed down

This town...is coming like a ghost town...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.