Preston (a) Post-Match Thread

So impressed with Garcia and Harwood-Bellis. They didn't have a huge amount of defending to do but they competed really well. Garcia was caught out a little on the odd occasion which he should learn from, but they both looked so comfortable and composed on the ball. Some of Garcia's passing to break the lines was fantastic and both showed a great deal of bravery to carry the ball forward in the right moments.

It's been a really good week for Angeliño after that terrible pre-season. It made sense to give Mendy some more minutes but Angeliño contributed loads of great crosses and was unfortunate to be taken off.

The match seemed to bypass Foden a fair bit and he had a mixed game. A few wonderfully weighted passes and bits of neat footwork that show he clearly belongs at this level but he didn't always make the right decisions. You'd forgive him a bit of rustiness given his recent illness and general lack of game time though. He'll learn plenty from games like that.

Liked Cancelo. Looks like it might take a while yet before he's on quite on the same wavelength as his team-mates but some of his forward play was really inventive and i thought he was surprisingly tenacious in the tackle given what i'd heard about his defensive abilities. I'd have no worries about rotating him and Walker from now on, with Cancelo given starts in the more straightforward-looking fixtures while he continues to bed in.

Every time Bernabé features in the first team he looks the part. I'm not sure what his best position really is or what his pathway would be exactly, but when he's given opportunities it feels like he always does one or two really impressive things that leave a mark, which is not something i feel i could say about Poveda or most other youngsters that have been thrown into these kind of games over the years. Definitely worth another look in the next round.

What a really positive night!

Good to see the Preston fans applauding Sterling off. Seems the dipper inspired hate campaign is well and truly over, at least in Preston.

They're a good bunch, Preston fans. Not as backwards as the likes of Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn.

The League Cup used to always be a potential banana skin - where lower league opposition and a scalping was regular, and since the days of Mark Hughes taking it quite serious, it has proven to be a fruitful few.

2009/10: Lost a semi to eventual winners ManUre (4-3, or as Jamie Carragher would say, we almost won it)
2010/11: Lost in 3rd round to WBA (*Birmingham won it)
2011/12: Lost 3-2 to eventual winners Liverpool in the semis (or as Jamie Carragher said, Liverpool almost bottled it)
2012/13: Lost to Villa in ET at the Etihad, third round (*Swansea won it)
2013/14: WINNERS v Sunderland AFC
2014/15: lost in 4th round to Newcastle Utd @ the Etihad (*Chelsea won it)
2015/16: WINNERS v Liverpool
2016/17: lost away to ManUre* in the 4th round (*eventual winners)
2017/18: WINNERS v Ar$enal
2018/19: WINNERS v Chelsea

2019/20: The story continues...

Our six times lifting this trophy (1970, 1976) has only been bettered by Liverpool's 8 times. Not bad for a team that featured in 7 finals (inc. the loss of 1974).

The Football League Cup/Capital One Cup/Carabao Cup was freshened up with City's attack on the trophy from 2009 onwards. Between 2004 and 2009, only ManUre, Chelsea and Spurs lifted it. Middlesbrough in 2004 was the last club until 2011 to win it, that featured outside the so-called big 4 or now so-called big 6 clubs.

Personally, I think lifting that first trophy in a season acts as a great catalyst and measure for how the final act of the season will play out.

I didn't get to watch the match. It seems like everyone played well. Were there any negatives?
just me saying that that's three wins on the run against three teams that didn't. love the wins, but i want to see what we've learned against a proper effort.

PNE forum appreciative of what they saw last night, with many praising Sterling both for his on-field contribution and for him presenting his shirt to a young fan in the home end.

‘They seem to be playing almost subconsciously’ struck me as a rather accurate description of our way of playing.

I didn't get to watch the match. It seems like everyone played well. Were there any negatives?
The number of times we were in great positions and didn't create a scoring opportunity and that Jesus didn't time a number of his runs correctly, so was caught offside
First 15 minutes Preston gave it a real go and after that it was pretty much all us

But to go away from home, play against a team that's full of confidence and on a high whilst make wholesale changes to our team, especially with the two kids at centre back, that's an impressive result

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.