Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there is, the Brexit thread is worth a visit.

Even in the Brexit thread I think 90% of people understand there might be reasons someone voted either way, even if they disagree.

Here, one side is just completely refusing to accept that the other position can possibly exist unless it's part of a media witch hunt, FA conspiracy or a liberal snowflake conspiracy.

He looks nothing like that confectionary bar character mate - nothing. Nor did he have outladishly big red lips, which is a symbolic feature of the racist caricatures of yesteryear.

If it was a proper look alike being posted, then it might be a different story. It wasn't.

As banter between mates by themselves, it's fine. I repeat though, there is no reason whatsover to post that online in view of millions. Keep it between yourselves instead.
This is just conventional behaviour. There is nothing inherently racist about caricaturing someone's appearance just because racists have also done so.

We all know that there are certain codes of behaviour which have been adopted which we all know are meaningless tokenism, and that's implicit in your comment. Don't get caught. Do it privately, but not online, in other words there is nothing inherently wrong with this behaviour.

The problem is that political correctness is so deeply entrenched that it is very difficult to challenge it, especially if you are wealthy and privileged. Immigrants know it is a sop and will snigger about it.

He has already apologised so he'll be found guilty. It's just a question of how far the FA wants to go to protect a symbolic pointless strategy.

Couldn't disagree more.
Just seen another "he's not racist but......" post, saying it's akin to comparing a black man to a golly.... analogy - is that the level now? I know it wasn't you but going to work before blood pressure kills me.

I'm not sure where the disagreement comes from.

Posting your mate's photo next to some random black character to millions, who looks nothing like your mate, is pretty clear to me to be borderline or mildly racist. Benjamin Mendy does not bear any resemblance to that confectionary character, apart from both being black.

Check out this tweet from Mendy himself last year:

Now that to the eye is a close look alike of Mendy - not some random cartoon blob that Bernardo posted seemingly because it was native to him and happens to be black. That is the act that is unacceptable because it has historical meanings and connotations, racist ones, regardless of intent.

These are British society's conventions. It should not make you a racist for breaking them, but it probably makes you a foreigner. Should a man who speaks 5 languages be educated in British conventions? No. What good do they serve other than to bring one person into line with expectations of behaviour.

Britain regards itself as the oldest democracy and the home of freedom, but it is actually a very regimented society, far more so than other Western European states. You might get bashed indiscriminately on the head by a riot cop on the continent, but unlikely that your address, and everything about you is monitored to the same extent. That is my impression anyway.
Yes I agree with the fact that people are brought up differently in different parts of the world and it would be impossible to get everyone thinking the same way. It's an unfortunate position he finds himself in but you have to adapt to the culture of the country you choose to work in to some degree and he has probably agreed somewhere along the way to abide by various rules and guidelines. People seem to forget how powerful Twitter (and the other stuff) is, but more crucially how it can be used as a weapon against you. Stop giving people ammunition.

Whatever his intent, which I don't think is malicious at all, the lazy act of posting that picture in view of millions perpetuates a racist stereotype. That in itself is wrong, whether you like it or not, and something someone in full public view, representing an organisation like ours that tries to staunchly stand against all forms of racism, should not be doing online.

Should he punished severely for it? No, I definitely don't think he should. A slap on the wrist and some education about it should suffice IMO.
Education? ffs, do you want him in a classroom with some PC twat trying to tell him black people can become his friends? It’s a load of bollocks, there is fuck all racist about Bernie, he could educate others on having diverse team mates and personal friends, fucking hate this Snowflake generation and over sensitive Social Media wallers.

Everything is black and white in your world. You’re in this country, this is our culture, that’s perceived as racist, we know exactly what you intended in your tweet, we’re going to ban you for so many games and at the end of it you won’t be racist any more even though you may or may not have been racist in the first place.

If somebody called me racist, they’d better have a large bank account and access to a good solicitor.

I think there's a really big difference between being "a racist" and admitting we're all capable of unwittingly saying or doing something that helps uphold racist stereotypes or structures. I think we're all capable of it (especially if you're not from a demographic that typically suffers at the hands of racism) and it's better to just accept that and be willing to listen and move on if it happens rather than freak out and go on the defensive. You can make a mistake without it making you a terrible person or "a racist".

For all the anger a lot of City fans are directing at the media, I'd say there have been lots of pragmatic takes on this incident. I think this is the best i've read https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...amin-mendy-racism-jonathan-liew-a9122326.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.