Rugby Union World Cup 2019

As a know-little re union, why were those 3 penalties given against England at scrums? What were England doing wrong?? Wasn’t clearly explained on commentary
The scrums weren’t the story. Knock on in the first few mins not called, de Klerk giving away 3 penalties in one attack, Itoje clearly winning a penalty not given just before ht. After the scrum where England won a penalty he blew the whistle when we had the ball, forward pass for the try. These are just off the top of my head after a few beers.

A bit harsh. SA pack clearly superior in set scrum, very difficult to counter. Also, several players under performed.

Maybe. I would of preferred a more humble approach. Maybe I’m just used to how humble Pep is when he talks about winning etc.

Some of it is the hype at Curry and Underhill. They're both still young and relatively inexperienced, and came up a crack unit today.

This for me.

Very arrogant in some of his comments too through this week, but he can have no excuses. He knew the ref and how he would manage the game, he knows, as do we all, how SA play, and he’s had a week to prepare ......and still gets absolutely rinsed.

Said the same after the Six nations in 2018 when we finished 5th, the lowest ever finish.

Could have been many things. At least one was for Marler stepping out slightly and moving round rather than forward (difficult to explain). Often, it's the scrum going backwards that is penalised as the front row come up (preventing pushing) or go to ground (also preventing movement).

Ok, cheers, that kind of makes sense

The second one should have been given to England, as one of the SA front row popped up out of it, which is usually always given. The other two were harder to call, but referees usually seem to favour one side over the other for no obvious reason. In Garces' case, he massively favoured SA in that match.

yeah, I agree on that - was assuming/hoping the Welsh ref Owens would be given the final. Haven’t been a fan of this ref in the rest for the tournament either

South Africa are too physically dominant to play the way England normally do, and Eddie didnt try to adapt.

The whole springbok game plan is to win the contact, force set pieces and win them, kick the penalties.

Gatland last week adapted to stop them doing that and got very close, the All Blacks adapted after their big loss to just avoid contact as much as possible, England today just tried to play their normal game and got battered.

Some poor individual performances but Eddie's to blame for this one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.