Flooding in Sheffield/Hope Valley

Remember the floods in Hull a few years back. 20/30,000 buildings flooded, about 15000 ppl evacuated from their homes. A young man drowned in the street when his foot got caught in a faulty drain cover. And the BBC? Nothing, no mention until a woman publicly complained. Amazingly, when the cameras finally turned up, so did a couple of gov ministers who had ignored Hull to that point.
The Beeb's excuse was that Hull was 'a bit remote'.

Tragic - where abouts?
Darley Dale Derbyshire pal, all linked up to this recent downpour.phoned a lad coming home from stanstead yesterday said in 35 years of driving the conditions around Newark /Sheffield was the worse ive ever been involved in very scary driving conditions m8

Lol, The actual problem is 1:100 year rainfall events are now much more frequent. Every other year the EA seemingly revise their flood levels. The Environment Agency spent £7m on flood defences in Northwich 2 years ago. Two weeks ago after a weekend of torrential rain even these failed in parts. Defending a City like Sheffield and the Don Valley is a major undertaking that requires massive expenditure. As its not only river banks that need to be raised. You have all the bridges and buildings situated on the bank that require flood alleviation measures and then you have all the surface water drainage that flows into the water courses, which has to be altered. The latter was a major reason for the flooding in Northwich. People blame the government but the fact is the goal posts keep moving as rainfall intensities change and successive governments Labour and Tory have failed to address these issues.
Thank you for this expert post.

Added to my knowledge base.

Don’t know about Sheffield, but the grid men don’t come around anymore , and I don’t recall seeing the council collecting all the leaves in autumn for quite a while either , major factors that lead to flooding!!
This could become a national scandal

I must say that I have noticed the grid men making more of an appearance lately. There's a number of places round Rochdale that with a few minutes rain form a large puddle at the side of the road, probably because the drain is choked. When we were kids they were round very often.

Remember the floods in Hull a few years back. 20/30,000 buildings flooded, about 15000 ppl evacuated from their homes. A young man drowned in the street when his foot got caught in a faulty drain cover. And the BBC? Nothing, no mention until a woman publicly complained. Amazingly, when the cameras finally turned up, so did a couple of gov ministers who had ignored Hull to that point.
The Beeb's excuse was that Hull was 'a bit remote'.

Not too remote for them to pay for tv licences, though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.