Flooding in Sheffield/Hope Valley

78024.jpg

Not today ;(

Similar to politicians, If not in the SE they don't give a shit unless it serves their purpose.

Often think of this when the London Mayor gets air time on the National news. I couldn't care less. And almost 90% of the time they are talking about issues over which they have minimal influence. It's like they are voted into office and paid significant amounts to winge. Devolved and representational government sounds all good and well but in reality its just layers and layers of useless politicians.

All this flooding measured a 10 second piece in ITN News at Ten.

Imagine if it was in the south east...
I really don't want to make this political. Yet I can't help but think with it being an election the lack of reporting is to ensure people don't ask questions on why this is occuring.

As other people have put. Major cuts to the environmental agency has a lot to do with this.

I really don't want to make this political. Yet I can't help but think with it being an election the lack of reporting is to ensure people don't ask questions on why this is occuring.

As other people have put. Major cuts to the environmental agency has a lot to do with this.

If in doubt blame the tories

I suppose the thought of the Prime Minister coming to visit ales the locals actually relieved it's not getting 24 hour rolling coverage.

:)

If in doubt blame the tories

Lol, The actual problem is 1:100 year rainfall events are now much more frequent. Every other year the EA seemingly revise their flood levels. The Environment Agency spent £7m on flood defences in Northwich 2 years ago. Two weeks ago after a weekend of torrential rain even these failed in parts. Defending a City like Sheffield and the Don Valley is a major undertaking that requires massive expenditure. As its not only river banks that need to be raised. You have all the bridges and buildings situated on the bank that require flood alleviation measures and then you have all the surface water drainage that flows into the water courses, which has to be altered. The latter was a major reason for the flooding in Northwich. People blame the government but the fact is the goal posts keep moving as rainfall intensities change and successive governments Labour and Tory have failed to address these issues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.