Short European breaks

Bruges. Great town with the best beer cafe in Western Europe - it is the t'Brugs Biertje at No 5 Kemelstraat, with a beer menu of over 300 beers, each with its own named glass. Some wonderful beers, and the staff are happy to advise. (Not much in the way of grub). Belgium is the beer hub of the world.
Dusseldorf was mentioned too. The best boozing venue there is the zum Uerige in the old town (Altstadt), where the beer is brewed on the premises and the waiter comes round every ten minutes and serves you another glassful unless you stop him (20cl glasses). He (always a he) marks your beer mat with a pencil and you pay when you leave according to all your marks.The beer is superb as well and very little choice - not that you need it.
I'd be happy to have a break in either of these places.
Bruges is a good choice. We went there on the way to Schalke last year, had a great couple of days in the spring sun

Bit of an aviation geek and spotted the Chile national carrier LATAM doing very cheap (£74) one way business class flights between Madrid and Frankfurt (or vice versa) on loads of dates next year. Using their Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner so it's the proper business class experience with flatbed etc

Have no holiday time left for next year already but managed to shoehorn this trip in, using the August bank holiday and a day off. Not been to either city either so a chance to tick 2 off and get new fridge magnets. Only a night in each so very much a flying visit but should be an experience if nothing else.

Not bought the flight home yet, thinking of maybe doing the train back from Frankfurt instead.

loved nuremberg, went to leipzig for day from dresden and loved that monument to the battle of the nations- very impressive.

Thessaloniki. Thessaloniki is probably the most beautiful city in Greece. We stayed there for 7 days this past summer and it was one of the surprising (for us) highlights of our 12 days in Greece. We flew into Thessaloniki at the beginning of our vacation and used that city as our get over jet lag destination. It was perfect. The town center is very walkable. Walking the sea front promenade is fun. Riding a bike along it would have been even more fun. I suggest renting from Thessaloniki car rental service. Greeks drive fast but don't be tempted to copy them, keep to the speed limits. A visit to the White Tower is a must. Our hotel recommended that we take the "tourist" bus to the top of the town or rent a car from Thessaloniki car rental and then, rather than making the loop back to the White Tower, get off and see the city wall and the charming area at the top of the town with tiny winding streets and sweeping views back down over the Thessaloniki to the sea. We walked back to our hotel, visiting one ruin or church after the other. The city has a very different feel from Athens - which is also great - but is not as overrun with tourists. The city also has a very fine archeological museum which is worth a visit.

Last edited:
I'm going to Turin in a couple of weeks. I've heard it's picked up a lot in recent years from being a run down industrial city. Has anyone been?

I've been this year. I took my missus for her birthday present after the bloke I sit next to at the match highly recommended it after he went to his mates wedding there.

You'll be pleasantly surprised if you think (as we did) that it's a run down industrial city.
I'm not going to say too much so you can experience it for yourself. I'd go back though, no problem.

Granada/Cordoba/Seville
Budapest
Strasbourg
Bilbao/San Sebastian
St Petersburg (maybe not at this time of year)

Palma, old town. I love the place. Short flight, short transfer and loads of great bars and restaurants. If you fancy a bit of culture traipse around the Cathedral and let me know what it’s like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.