Women's Team - 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post, C, but the last couple of matches I've seen at The Academy have been grim watching. We might score five but the first hour can be a lifeless, banging head on wall kind of play. The downside of copying the men is the notion that possession will have it's own reward. We don't mix up the play - it is always passing across the back, and back again, up to the defensive mid, and then back to someone in the back four. We seem not to have a carrier who can beat a woman (that's dribbling round her for those who think, like Phil Herman, that we're talking table tennis!). Every team in the league can defend, and if they get lucky we find it difficult to break them down. The heart and creative soul seems to have emigrated to Lyon and Spain and we haven't had like for like replacements. I look at other teams and they have but one purpose and that is to get the ball into our area. We seem to think that it will only be a matter of time before we get into the promised land, and in the meantime we might have let in another shitty goal. But, hey ho, if they wear a City shirt I will be there.
Spot on about all the passing cross the defence, I bet Ellie Roebuck has a pass completion rate then Ellen White

Watched the game and have to say there’s a few in that team who are simply not at the races. Stokes and Walsh have regressed alarmingly (both looked sloppy and disinterested) and Houghton is clearly distracted by more important issues in her life.
This doesn't sound good at all...

Very good post, C, but the last couple of matches I've seen at The Academy have been grim watching. We might score five but the first hour can be a lifeless, banging head on wall kind of play. The downside of copying the men is the notion that possession will have it's own reward. We don't mix up the play - it is always passing across the back, and back again, up to the defensive mid, and then back to someone in the back four. We seem not to have a carrier who can beat a woman (that's dribbling round her for those who think, like Phil Herman, that we're talking table tennis!). Every team in the league can defend, and if they get lucky we find it difficult to break them down. The heart and creative soul seems to have emigrated to Lyon and Spain and we haven't had like for like replacements. I look at other teams and they have but one purpose and that is to get the ball into our area. We seem to think that it will only be a matter of time before we get into the promised land, and in the meantime we might have let in another shitty goal. But, hey ho, if they wear a City shirt I will be there.
I don't disagree, its all a bit too much like the men at the moment :) I'm not sure its Cushing's fault though, and we have only conceded 3 "shitty" league goals so far.

I don't disagree, its all a bit too much like the men at the moment :) I'm not sure its Cushing's fault though, and we have only conceded 3 "shitty" league goals so far.

Cushing can only work with what he's got, but I do think his subbings leaving something to be desired. He knows more about the game than either Phil Neville or I will know about it, but WhyTF doesn't our little Korean lass get a bit more time? Has she started a game this season? How-many mins did she get during the CFC game?

I think Cushing and the team are suffering because he can't pencil in half the side like he could a season or two ago with regular stalwarts who had some great form. We are in a time-warp where yer pick one player and wish yer'd picked the other, and if yer pick the other, yer wish yer'd started with the first one yer thought of!

Cushing can only work with what he's got, but I do think his subbings are leaving something to be desired. He knows more about the game than either Phil Neville or I will know about it, but WhyTF doesn't our little Korean lass get a bit more time? Has she started a game this season? Howmany mins did she get during the CFC game?
I can't answer that, nor why he isn't playing Stanway at the moment, but I'll say the same as I do about Pep, in that he sees them in training and I don't, maybe they're not doing it.

I can't answer that, nor why he isn't playing Stanway at the moment, but I'll say the same as I do about Pep, in that he sees them in training and I don't, maybe they're not doing it.

It's often the case that it's the effort in training that gets 'em the start, but it's a conundrum because when either Stanway or Lee Geum Min come on things seem to buck up a little and attacks appear more promising. I've just looked at the entire squad and I couldn't really say what would be our best starting eleven.

Roebuck played really well and made some fine saves. We defended as a team against a very good Chelsea side and took the lead some would argue against the run of play but thought we were going to get a deserved draw for our fine defensive display. A lucky shot bounced in after hitting a Chelsea forward in a crowded box on the knees and diverted in past a helpless Roebuck.
It just added to whats been a shitshow of a weekend for City all round.

I think that the next three games will define our season.
The most important decision City can make will be to get a new manager who has experience, is enthusiastic (unlike the current manager) and will use the rest of the season to try out different players and tactics so that we will start next season with a completely new environment at the club. If we don’t, we will finish 3rd and will just carry on as a decent side but not capable of winning trophies. There are also a small number of other mid table clubs who are improving and may challenge the ‘elite’ next year. I honestly think it is a crunch time for the club. Be brave and succeed, be iindecisive and see the team suffer and the crowd base fall away.
I posted the above some time ago. IMO the same thoughts are just as relevant. Now is the crunch time to go forward or to end the women’s game at City.
City have been stagnating over the past year and only a root and branch change will do.
Do nothing and women’s football at City will be an irrelevance in a few short months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.