Why Do You Celebrate Christmas ?

Christmas is the one time of the year when my adult children get holidays at the same time and can come home and have a good blow out and watch crap on the tv together.

Metal, on the whole you are doing a grand job but you have mentioned the germans and now you are saying the sweatys are germans as well ! (it does explain a lot)

In seriousness, your second post was very informative. I have always only known it as a Christian festival, I am now a lot wiser and indebted.
Re-read, i've added about mistletoe traditions.
Next up decorating trees. Why do we do it?

Well, it's no surprise that the popularity of christmas trees in Britain began with Prince Albert, but the idea of decorating trees is much earlier.

You see, the reason the Evergreen tree is chosen is because it is the only tree in winter that doesn't shed it's "leaves". So makes sense to cut that shit down right! Well, kind of, the idea was that with it being so cold, people wanted to encourage the return of the sun and greenery. This was done by having an evergreen tree as a shrine. But why decorate it and why with typically shiny things?

Well, wonder no more. The norse/anglo-saxons believed in these spirits or faeries called the Landvaettir. The Landvaettir gave blessings on households, but how to attract the buggers/ Well, Landvaettir are attracted to "shiny things"... yep. That's why we do it. Shinier the better. Over the years, candles, tinsel etc, the more attractive looking the tree, the more Landvaettir you attract.

I don't think most people actually celebrate Christmas.they just use it as an excuse for a few piss ups and a chance to get a new pair of socks. People already in debut get further into debut by buying presents and stuff they cant afford. All the MPs wants to help the homeless, the poor and the sick at this time of year just a pity they don't care about them the rest of the year
Yule basically was an excuse for one big piss up.

It got colder, darker and was miserable. Fuck it, lets get pissed for two months!

To spend time with family and friends and switch off from the mundane routine for a few days. Have a laugh, a few drinks, fine food and get away from it all.

Unless you are religious why would you celebrate a day you care nothing about ? I do not go to church and I do not believe in any god so why would I celebrate the fact someone was (possibly) born a long time ago.
Also, children aside, what is all this buying presents shite ? I want a Mercedes 250 sports but I don't suppose my missus can afford to buy me that so I will get something from her that I can afford to buy myself..... but she will buy me something I don't want ( a bread maker, a concrete dog, yet another iPad)

Before anyone starts calling me a miserable old FOC, I don't celebrate Eid Mubarak, Yom Kippur or any other religious day so why celebrate Christmas ?

This is not an attack on those posters that do believe by the way, it is an attack on the two faced ones who don't believe but still celebrate.
Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus or Christianity

We’ve been celebrating on the Winter Solstice and four days after when the Sun moves 1° higher in the sky for the first time after the Solstice, for thousands of years, for thousands of years before Christianity was invented.

What we use as Christmas decorations are Pagan.
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-19/the-history-of-the-christmas-tree/8106078

This is our festival. Not Christianity's.

It’s the time of the year the Sun starts to rise, the days start to get longer, the warmer months are ahead. It’s the traditions of gathering together with family and friends, showing appreciation for your relationships with them, feasting and drinking with them... that’s all gone on on this island since it became an island.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just become a western tradition like Halloween, the non believer's ignore the religious aspect of Christmas.
If you have kids it's a lot of fun and it gives you time with family and friends.

One of the hardest things about Christmas when you have emigrated is missing family.

No such thing as Christmas anymore. I've been reliably informed most PC people now call it the "Holidays"....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.