Why Do You Celebrate Christmas ?

I see it as a pagan festival hijacked by the soppy religion of Christianity
Our true gods are those of natural law ,force and merciless struggle.

Hail Satan.

I admire those who go to Stonehenge and celebrate our eternal relationship with our ancestors and land. And cop off with impressionable hippy chicks.

I'll give you the run down of what germanic/norse/anglo-saxon pagans believe this time of year hails.

It's called "yule" or Yuletide (meaning Yule time) and it signifies the changing of the year wheel. Back then there were only TWO seasons, Winter and Summer the other two Lent (Spring) and Harvst (Autumn) were considered periods.

Anywho. It's based upon Odin/Wotan/Woden. The All-Father (as in Father Christmas... now you know why! The Christians had to get the pagans on side somehow, and making their most supreme deity connected to Jesus kind of worked!) At the Midwinter, the 25th of December or Winter Solstice (since changed to the 21st, thanks to the Gregorian calendar) was the day after Modraniht, the Mother's Night. The Night when Odin, a tall man with a large beard and magical powers, would ride his chariot pulled by Sleipnir on the "Wild Hunt". Children would be encouraged to put hay in their stockings, to feed Sleipnir. In gratitude, Odin would bestow gifts for the children. Remember this is at least, 1,000 years before the Bible was written. and 2,000 before Twas the Night Before Christmas was written, where we have our ideas about "Santa" today.

Odin could see you all year around (when you're sleeping or awake)

After the Modraniht, people feasted. For 12 days straight. Food, booze (emphasis on booze) singing, dancing, the lot.

Pagan festival. Twelfth Night and all that. Some bloke who suddenly became white and looked like a prog rock guitarist suddenly appeared in the middle east apparently.

Now that is my kind of reply. It means I can still eat too much, drink plenty and give people crap presents and it has nothing to do with god. Nice one and thanks for educating me, I honestly did not know that...….. mind you germans you say hmmmmmm.
Forgot to mention, it's "Germanic peoples", not Germans, which encompasses pretty much everyone in the north of Europe. English are Germanic, most Scots are Germanic, Dutch, Danes, Scandinavians.

Germanic was the Roman name for the regions north of France (which they were unable to conquer)
It's actual meaning is lost.

Also, mistletoe? Why the kissing? Again, norse/germanic mythology. Baldr (NOT Thor) is like the Jesus. (like, literally. Baldr dies and is resurrected to recreate heaven on earth after Ragnarok)
SO yeah, Baldr, fave child of Odin, loved by everyone. Loki, being a prick, decides it'd be hilarious if he killed him! But he cannot "kill" Baldr, or everyone would hate him, plus he's immortal.

At least... kind of, Baldr's kryptonite was... the mistletoe flower, which is poisonous! So Loki makes a spear out of mistletoe, gives it to a blind aide and tells him to give Baldr a present. You get the picture, spear kills Baldr, wah wah. But the Nirns (kind of like the fates) tell Frigg/Freya that if everyone cried then Baldr could be ressurected. Freya pleads with the people of Midgard (where we live) to weep over Baldr. Everyone does and Freya gives blessings to anyone stood under a mistletoe plant with... a kiss.

Last edited:
Metal, on the whole you are doing a grand job but you have mentioned the germans and now you are saying the sweatys are germans as well ! (it does explain a lot)

In seriousness, your second post was very informative. I have always only known it as a Christian festival, I am now a lot wiser and indebted.

Unless you are religious why would you celebrate a day you care nothing about ? I do not go to church and I do not believe in any god so why would I celebrate the fact someone was (possibly) born a long time ago.
Also, children aside, what is all this buying presents shite ? I want a Mercedes 250 sports but I don't suppose my missus can afford to buy me that so I will get something from her that I can afford to buy myself..... but she will buy me something I don't want ( a bread maker, a concrete dog, yet another iPad)

Before anyone starts calling me a miserable old FOC, I don't celebrate Eid Mubarak, Yom Kippur or any other religious day so why celebrate Christmas ?

This is not an attack on those posters that do believe by the way, it is an attack on the two faced ones who don't believe but still celebrate.
I don't think most people actually celebrate Christmas.they just use it as an excuse for a few piss ups and a chance to get a new pair of socks. People already in debut get further into debut by buying presents and stuff they cant afford. All the MPs wants to help the homeless, the poor and the sick at this time of year just a pity they don't care about them the rest of the year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.