Change VAR or.................

I think I'm in a minority but I don't really have an issue with VAR and offside. I celebrate goals now in different ways depending on how the goal is scored. If it is one where I think there is an offside then I am a bit reserved in my celebration. If there is one where it looks legit then I'm celebrating as normal.

I've got used to the delays after the goals and realise that it's just taking a bit of time. I'm happy to accept the tiny margins as they seem to work both ways. I appreciate that there could be errors with when the line is drawn.
Offside is there to stop players gaining an advance by “goal hanging” not there to be scientifically examined using flawed technology by a clown sat in a studio earning £2.5k a game

It’s not a faceless arbiter though is it. It’s just another of the Pigmol puppets that regularly shaft us in full sight on the field. Var would be absolutely fine. It’s the incompetent/corrupt twats laughingly termed elite referees that need binned.
So who was the VAR official yesterday? Just asking because I’ve no idea who this faceless arbiter was?

Last edited:
Maybe they want rid of the traditional die-hard fan.
He doesn't go to the souvenir shop and spend £40 every game, he doesn't sit there all happy clappy no matter what the score and he certainly doesn't want a 39th game in another country.
This is an interesting theory, I’d say it will work as well .

run the risk of alienating countless long standing, long suffering, money paying, match attending fans like myself, to the point where i am seriously contemplating not renewing my seasoncard, after 50 years of supporting City, over 20 years as a seasoncard holder spread over 2 spells from the 70's and again since 2005, all from about 140 miles away. Football used to be something you could only really enjoy watching live (apart from playing) then with the advent of television it became a documentary to enjoy, initially as a recorded programme, and then a live documentary. Now it has become a made for television soap opera or drama , purely for the armchair fan and **** the poor money payer at the ground. If anyone can tell me why our last 3 games had the ridiculous kick off times they did, when not for live tv broadcasting, i would be interested to know.

Any, i am tempted to say yesterday's VAR charade was one more nail in football's coffin. Let me start by saying, we all know and (reluctantly) accept that all goals go to VAR. City's third goal yesterday unfolded right in front of me in 101, the lino (fresh from the Specsavers new year sale) watched the move develop, saw nothing wrong, didn't flag, and eventually watched the ball end up in the Vale net, and was happy it was a goal. Mason, from the edge of the penalty are, looking straight at the goal, from very close to where the goal scoring shot was taken, immediately blew his whistle, and raised his arm to indicate he was disallowing the goal, and was awarding a free kick to Vale, (bearing in mind that VAR is going to check this and all goals). A few seconds after Mason had disallowed the "goal" lino sticks his flag up, and indicates offside as if to vindicate Mason's decision. There then followed the usual 2 to 3 minutes to check the bleeding "clear and obvious" and unfortunately they could not find any reason to disallow the goal. Mason slowly trudged back to the centre circle, and petulantly/ disgustedly threw the ball to the floor like a spoilt sulking child, as if to say "what more could i do"

Others have posted this or similar many times, but i honestly can't remember the last time i celebrated a City goal. The main purpose of football, scoring goals, and celebrating that success has been killed, it would appear for ever. I'll happily acknowledge that i am probably no different from many other City supporters, but a typical home game 1/19th of my seasoncard, plus £20 fuel, (3 in the car), plus min £20 food and drink, means it is costing me £100 per home game, and i am simply not enjoying it like i used to. It has nothing to do with being less (just this season) successful, don't forget i was here for for Stuart Pearce and Beanie, and not seeing a City goal at home from Jan 1st to the end of the season, and i have watched City through thin and thinner, and many's the time, i have seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but this is different, I FEEL CHEATED. I'VE BEEN ROBBED.If i do stop coming, i won't stop supporting City, but sadly it makes more sense to stay at home, watch it on TV, and swear at the television (at least you'd know what is going on).Not to mention a lot cheaper, and less frustrating.

I believe justice has to be seen to be believed, and the Court of VAR sits in secret, passes judgement, and we are expected to pay the fine. I can't think of a single reason why football doesn't follow rugby's lead. With ALL VAR reviews, the video they are reviewing should be played at the same time on the large screen, and the audio between referee and VAR should also be broadcast live. If they had nothing to hide ..........................???

With regards to offside, as others have posted previously, the current technology of 50 frames per second, means that the average moving player will move 16cm, from one single frame to the next. It is simply not accurate to call offsides of less than 50cm, for an armpit, a toe or a heel , but more to the point, i would question the morality of such, i personally don't ever think there has been a desire to forensically attempt to call offside to such a fine margin. Similarly we have fallen foul of VAR a couple of times with players coming back from an offside position (Mahrez offside , Foden scores v Everton), and i also believe Spurs in Champions League. I understand if you are onside when the ball is played, (if you time your run right), you could well be a couple of yards offside, by the time the ball reaches you, - but that is ok!! However if you are offside, when the ball is played, but are coming back towards your own goal, and by the time the ball reaches you, you are in an onside position, to me the play should have been deemed reset, no way, are you seeking to gain an advantage, you should not be called offside.

Something needs to be done, before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However if you are offside, when the ball is played, but are coming back towards your own goal, and by the time the ball reaches you, you are in an onside position, to me the play should have been deemed reset, no way, are you seeking to gain an advantage, you should not be called offside.
———
And that is the definition of offside... it was when I was playing anyway. Need to reset the offside law to this. You cannot be ‘seeking to gain an advantage’ coming ‘back on’

Sorry mate, the conspiracy stuff leaves me cold. I understand many don’t like VAR, and I also can appreciate why this is, but the fact is that VAR makes corruption/cheating by officials far more difficult. Pre VAR an official could raise his flag and a perfectly good goal could be chalked off and within 10 seconds everyone in the stadium would know the official had made a mistake but there was bugger all that could be done about it. Also penalty decisions and red cards. Now we have a safety net and I like VAR for this reason. There needs to be more work done to improve the experience for match going fans, but I’m sure that will come. I get that mine is a minority opinion, but I’m going to voice it anyway to give this thread some balance.
My contention is that VAR is a great tool for corruption The VAR can decide when the ball was kicked for offside and I give you the Laporte handball v Spurs, the VAR Scott was able to microscopically find something to disallow a perfectly good goal with out VAR there’s wasn’t an option

With regards to corruption. Genuine question. Could anyone point me in the direction of a VAR decision that’s gone against us that you believe to be corrupt?
The contentious incidents v The World Club Champions spring to mind I also find it difficult to understand why the angle that showed the handball be Spurs in ECL wasn’t shown to the onfield ref on the monitor

Do you have any examples of where a goal has been awarded after the ball has hit an attacking player on the arm?
Just a few weeks later than ours a goal was allowed to stand iirc it was for Newcastle

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.