Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

What will sort them?

Another quality centre back to go alongside Laporte and maybe another left fullback(hopefully Mendy can become as good as we hope). In the meantime we need to work with what we have. Once laporte is back I would put rodri in the centre with laporte and a.n. other and put fern back in DM. Don't think we have much chance in the champions league if we don't.

a very sad indictment of the season

I guess so but even in our pomp we would be behind the scouse . We are doing ok and are on championship form but they are phenomenal and var has helped them loads.

We really shouldn't beat ourselves up to much you cant win it every year.

There's no inconsistency between those two statements. If there's a fundamental issue leading to underachievement or underperformance and any organisation, not just a football club, feels that the manager is the problem, the best course of action is to sever the relationship and get someone new in, in order to freshen things up. Pep's earned time because of his achievements for us and for his previous clubs. I'm sure he'll see the next season out, then we'll see. If we struggle for top 4 next season then I think most would agree it will be time to look elsewhere. On the other hand, we may win the quadruple.

Let's also look at it another way. Let's assume Pep's says to the powers that be, "I'm definitely not staying beyond next season. But if you want a replacement then I'd recommend you appoint [insert name]." Let's speculate that the name is Pochettino. Now for all the idiots who don't bother to read things properly, I'll put it in capital letters. I'M NOT SAYING POCHETTINO IS A BETTER MANAGER THAN PEP. IT'S JUST AN ILLUSTRATION OF A POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE. OK?

Pochettino is presumably available now, for next season, but might not be in 2021. So the board have to decide whether to approach him now, for him to take over next season and avoid the risk of losing out. So even if Pep is happy to see out his contract and we're happy for him to do so, it still might not be in our interest to let him do that depending on who his successor will be.

I presume you were half pissed writing that ?

Ha ha, only just seen the Burnley/Leicester score. Some coaches would say 'a point gained....' (tongue half in cheek).

I guess so but even in our pomp we would be behind the scouse . We are doing ok and are on championship form but they are phenomenal and var has helped them loads.

We really shouldn't beat ourselves up to much you cant win it every year.
You're right on the not being able to win it every year point. Liverpool have been throwing money at it for thirty years and are going to have won it once in all that time. In our pomp, with Vinnie, and without the long term injuries, maybe we'd top this Liverpool team, maybe not. Personally, I'd fancy us. Liverpool play a conventional style, big, physically strong imposing, fast players, very direct. We are the most unconventional team in the history of the game in this country - we hoof it long so rarely we can remember each one over the last few years and even then only as a last resort. We score more goals than Liverpool, have a better midfield, but struggle with defending. We can improve our defending.

Liverpool are a team of today - all their key players 28/29 and at their peak. Our key players are slightly younger with one exception. We keep being told that Pep will leave soon - fair enough he'll have been here five years when his contract ends. Klopp's already been there five years and his wife supposedly wants to move to warmer climes. Things can change quickly.

Ended up being a good point yesterday! Got us another point ahead of Leicester, Chelsea and (hopefully) the rags

While i agree with all your points those players are not 4 individuals - they are the backbone of what has been a very successful team.

Finding another manager who wants to play in the way you describe (again completely agree with you it has to be that way) wont be hard - finding one who can do it as succesfully as Pep due to the way he thinks about positional play and how indivduals give certain things to certain positions could be a lot harder than you think.

And while Kun and Fern may well be with us next season - it would be poor planning to be at not least thinking and targeting those to replace them - look at what having no replacement for Kopany has done. it was foolish to think we could manage with two centre halves backed up by an ageing and quite frankly clearly not good enough Ottomendi

When it comes to the backbone of the side: Laporte and KDB are already formidable. I think Rodri can become an outstanding DM for us. We need another world class CB.

We do need to be planning for another striker to come in when Kun goes and to compete with / complement Jesus.

I certainly don't underestimate the difficulty of getting someone who can do those things as successfully as Pep: we won't be able to so we need to the best we can.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.