Penalty Taker

Who should take penalties if Haaland is not on the pitch?

• Total voters
I know that times have changed but I remember watching Chilavert and Rogelio Ceni bang them in from free kicks and penalties when I was growing up.

If Ederson is good enough then surely it’s a risk worth taking? Puts us in a difficult position if he misses but I reckon he’d have enough time to get back unless the opposition keeper caught the shot and started a counter attack immediately or if we were playing away.

If it was off target and we were playing at home it wouldn’t be an issue anyway, as the ball boys or fans or whoever could hold onto the ball for a bit to give Eddie time to get back. Although if we were playing away it would put us in a difficult position.

If it was parried and there were onrushing City players trying to get on the rebound then surely as a defender your main priority would be to get the ball away rather than turn around and start a counter attack given how exposed you are in that situation. Then once it’s out of touch it’s our ball anyway.

I’ve put way too much thought into this...

Those saying kev are wrong,he doesn't like taking them so he doesnt,last thing we should do is try and make him

Sergio
Gundy
Rodders
Eddie

I know that times have changed but I remember watching Chilavert and Rogelio Ceni bang them in from free kicks and penalties when I was growing up.

If Ederson is good enough then surely it’s a risk worth taking? Puts us in a difficult position if he misses but I reckon he’d have enough time to get back unless the opposition keeper caught the shot and started a counter attack immediately or if we were playing away.

If it was off target and we were playing at home it wouldn’t be an issue anyway, as the ball boys or fans or whoever could hold onto the ball for a bit to give Eddie time to get back. Although if we were playing away it would put us in a difficult position.

If it was parried and there were onrushing City players trying to get on the rebound then surely as a defender your main priority would be to get the ball away rather than turn around and start a counter attack given how exposed you are in that situation. Then once it’s out of touch it’s our ball anyway.

ederson seems like he’d score at least 9 out of ten

I give you Rogério Mücke Ceni 131 goals from penalties and freekicks :)

I was looking for José Luis Chilavert but he only scored 67 goals :)

:)

Yeah, I know it has been done and you you ought to be able to defend it if he misses although the idea is for him to have a Yayaesque success rate but it introduces an error of risk and comedic possibilities that are best avoided.

Also, a team with our aspirations should have some outfield players that can be relied on from the spot.

Silly thought, but if Ederson did take a pen couldn’t we leave 3 or 4 players back rather than have everyone stood on the edge of the opposition area?

With us hoping to win several cups again this year, we could well take part in more than one cup penalty shootout. You would imagine team penalty practice would be a regular part of training sessions? Coaches should have a good idea of our best penalty takers.

If Ederson is clearly our best taker, personally I would let him take them. Not only is he ice cool under pressure but he's less likely than the out field players to be suffering from muscle fatigue during a game. He doesn't have to run up and down the field at great pace, as many of our attacking players do. I would expect Ederson to score over 95% of his penalties, with similar success to the likes of Balotelli/Yaya/Milner.

With us hoping to win several cups again this year, we could well take part in more than one cup penalty shootout. You would imagine team penalty practice would be a regular part of training sessions? Coaches should have a good idea of our best penalty takers.

If Ederson is clearly our best taker, personally I would let him take them. Not only is he ice cool under pressure but he's less likely than the out field players to be suffering from muscle fatigue during a game. He doesn't have to run up and down the field at great pace, as many of our attacking players do. I would expect Ederson to score over 95% of his penalties, with similar success to the likes of Balotelli/Yaya/Milner.
We've won our previous shoot outs though which is an odd thing, Ederson could take them in shoot outs anyway.

we only have a problem if he misses. Eddie doesn't miss..... 'ice in his veins'

:)

Yeah, I know it has been done and you you ought to be able to defend it if he misses although the idea is for him to have a Yayaesque success rate but it introduces an error of risk and comedic possibilities that are best avoided.

Also, a team with our aspirations should have some outfield players that can be relied on from the spot.
we should. we have world class players but pub team class penalty takers. Thats the problem. I would give it to Eddie this season and perform hypnotherapy on the others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.