Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, do you remember the general consensus on here and in the stands during Dinho’s first year with us?

You’re asking the wrong guy if you’re gonna talk about general consensus, I rarely seem to agree with the majority on here. For me, the aim should always be to replace a player with a better one. In Rodris case, he has a tough job on his hands to achieve that and he certainly has not achieved it this season. However, it is early days and hopefully he goes on to great things but I think there’s been a lot of over-the-top praise and criticism for him over the course of the season. He hasn’t been world class and he hasn’t been shit either.

More and more we're seeing just how bloody good Fernandinho is/was in that position. To be the only man there and completely run the show is extraordinary. The engine, the athleticism, the touch, the intelligence - a marvel.

I think we do need some more athletic to complement Rodders in the position to replace Dinho, but finding that guy who must also be as good on the ball as Dinho is very tough.

His lack of pace is a concern,very good on the ball and good in the tackle and rareĺy loses the ball. Breaking up the play without committing a foul is difficult for him due to him not being quick enough

We asked for height in midfield and we signed height and Rodri will be a major asset in that regard. I wasn't expecting a player with pace, or a Yaya's passing range although Rodri isn't bad at all in hat side of his game, we do have players who do that that job (at times) excellently. He can read the game, which can make up for a lack of pace.

Friendly reminder that Rodri is younger than Sane and playing in a position which requires immense maturity and near-perfect performance every game.

Friendly reminder that Rodri is younger than Sane and playing in a position which requires immense maturity and near-perfect performance every game.

He’s also coming into a league where plenty of new players struggle initially (e.g. Jorginho, who Pep by all accounts wanted for that role, and was genuinely awful throughout last season). And he’s having to adapt to different systems and set ups pretty much every game. If we played a 4-3-3 every week, with a settled pair of centre halves, it would have made his life a hell of a lot easier, and I’m pretty sure we’d have seen more consistently top end performances.
But as it is, he’s doing fine, and I’ve no doubts he’ll prove himself a class player for us going forward.

He was decent last night. One of the better performers.

However, he is still daudling on the ball too much. We had what looked to be a 4v3 breakaway in the second half and when he got the ball his first thought was to turn his head around and look who he could pass to behind him and the moment of the 4v3 disappeared.

He also wimped out of a challenge in the last ten minutes that lead to United being on the edge of our box.

But he covered ground well last night and looks fitter than he was earlier in the season. He shielded the ball well a few times and is very strong in the legs and doesn’t get knocked off the ball.

Improving but still looks just a steady player rather than someone who’s going to be top class through his career. Hopefully that improvement sky rockets at some point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.