Spurs (A) Post Match Thread

Getting beat by the rags was bad enough but losing to the team I have despised since 1981 just deepened the annoyance. And then to realise that with over 30 attempts at goal in those matches we failed to hit the target once, and even missed yet another penalty making the dark cloud even darker. And there is no lifting for a couple of weeks as the players are on a jolliday.
Our defence of the title is heading toward one the worst on record.

Hardly, i am sure we will finish second albeit well behind on points.

How many years will it take to score in that shiny new ground?

2nd time, 2 defeats, no goals scored, 1 missed pen each game. We are afraid to fail - and fail.
It's deep in our player's minds.

Not easy to get rid of this jitters in front of goal.
That's a big task for Pep and staff to overcome, and quick.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive but I think our problems putting the ball in the back of the net is partly down to our problems at the back.

It's similar to Pep's first season where we didn't struggle to create chances, would dominate games, miss some ridiculous chances, and lose to the opposition's only attempts at goal. Think Chelsea at home 2016/17, battered them, KDB hitting the bar with an empty net from 8 yards, should have been three or four up, lost 3-1.

Last two seasons where we've been solid at the back we have been more clinical and it's more or less the same team going forward in all these seasons.

Maybe we feel more under-pressure in these games to put our chances away, knowing we have to score as we will concede at some point, the longer the game is in the balance the more the pressure ramps up. If we go a goal or two in front though, the pressure releases and we batter them, like Villa away.

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it but teams at the moment know they can/will score against us, so if they just stay in the game they get a result. That's two games in a row where the only tactic the opposition has had is to defend, and both games we have contrived to lose.

I'm not concerned long term, we are battering teams and creating chances, and if we can just become a bit more solid we win these games comfortably, especially if the other team know they will have to do more than just sit back and wait for our mistake.

Ah well, maybe.

But you could also reverse that theory:
our defence is under pressure the more easy chances are not converted and finally we make a defwnsive mistake and lose the match.

Or - fundamental in football - if one team fuxx up every single silly chance the other team finally sniff the moment, put 1 in and can't believe their luck to somehow have beaten the dominant team. Seen too often over decades.

How many years will it take to score in that shiny new ground?

2nd time, 2 defeats, no goals scored, 1 missed pen each game. We are afraid to fail - and fail.
It's deep in our player's minds.

Not easy to get rid of this jitters in front of goal.
That's a big task for Pep and staff to overcome, and quick.
My thoughts exactly. It's becoming a bit of a thing and we need to break it quick. I am assuming it's why Pep is playing Sterling despite his form.

Sterling actually manages to get into the scoring opportunities more than anyone else, he just needs to bag a couple then he is off again. Confidence is a massive massive problem at the moment. More than injuries and player positions or who takes a penalty.

We sometimes are masters in shooting ourselves in the foot. Play great football except for the finishing. Spurs 3 shots on target. It’s simply not our season. Totally against the run of play, but we can only blame ourselves. Even with 10 men we created chances. Yet didn’t score ...
Pretty certain that if we shot ourselves in the foot we'd miss

Watched it again today, having calmed down a little, and i'm still as mad as i was. Fucking useless finishing, needless bookings, why get dragged into it. Zinchenko an idiot, absolute disgrace in terms of wasteful, penalties a fucking joke. Mugged quite easily by Spuds

I'm sorry are you suggesting that wasn't a foul? FFS if that had happened to one of ours (Kane and Alli last couple of years spring to mind) there would have been uproar it wasn't a red
The stream i had had Graham Le Saux banging on constantly that it was horror tackle by Sterling and should've been straight red. I thought it was an honest challenge and he got the ball first (cant find a vid) but can see why a yellow was given

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.