#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't mean we should play an 18yr old instead,2 seperate discussions imo,without a decent partner next to him it's not really fair to him,the priority will be getting eric jr up to speed
If your good enough,your old enough.

Wayne Rooney had a stellar career. Judging him in the twilight of his years isn't balanced. And if you believe his smoking and getting over weight was because he played when he was young then I'd disagree with that and put it more down to his upbringing, his personality, his friends and so on. But look let's put Wayne Rooney to one side. What about Ryan Giggs? Actually, let's bring it closer to home, what about David Silva? At 18 he was playing over 25 games per season out on loan. This is the fundamental point, players at that age need to play to develop.

Different players develop at different rates, physically, technically, mentally. You can't apply a one size fits all approach to every player.

I've hoped to see more of him in the past month or two, not because of his development but because I think we could have used him on the pitch.

But I think people are wildly unrealistic about when and how much he should be playing.

When it comes down to it he'll reach 20 with an excellent grounding in senior football. The way people talk the last few years have just been a waste of time.

You might not like the comparison but Wayne Rooney is a good case to look at. He too was in a team of stars and once let off the leqsh didn't look back. In my opinion true development comes by chalking up the minutes. But with youngsters come up and down performances and at the bottom of the table managers don't play youngsters unless they have courage and accept mistakes will happen. And in a team like City, having world class players around him means the team wouldnt hurt should he have below par games (which I doubt he would be worse than Sterling this season at least).

The bigger question is whether his development is being slowed down current or whether it is on track, behind where it should be or ahead.
Rooney is a poor comparison because he was a beast physically at 16 when he made his debut for Everton, and he played 2 seasons there before his move so hardly surrounded by stars at the start of his career. You briefly mentioned Giggs in another post and he was plagued with hamstring problems early on.

As for Foden, yes, I think he's on a perfect trajectory.

when he’s most effective?? When he’s 34 and we can say thank god we didn’t play him at 19.... that argument makes not sense at all

How on earth can you not understand why so many fans want to see him in the team ? And how do you know he’s not ready?

Loads of players around his age group are doing great and there’s loads of examples of players throughout history who were given a chance at a young age and thrived - Mbappe, Sancho, Lake, Rooney.

we have one of the most talented young players in Europe. Why not play him more then a few token minutes
So many fans want him in the team because he’s one of us and in this era of such a huge disconnect between the ordinary fan and the players, having a local kid in the team bridges that gap.
I’d turn your question back on you if I may - why doesn’t a manager obsessed with winning play him more than a few token minutes ? He sees way more of him than we do so wouldn’t he play him more if he was ready ?

Are you on a wind up pal? Seriously, just where are you coming from with the view that you would " rather he got the summer off rather than flogging himself to death with England"..That is complete rubbish.He has started 5 games this season.He is 19 years old.Tell me where do you see Fatigue as an issue for Phil Foden this summer?
He’s done the same amount of training as every other squad member, it takes its toll. And frankly I would rather none of our players played internationals ever.

Oh, Phil.

54-D078-DD-232-E-4-BB9-B9-C4-2-E8503-C3379-C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.