#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't make sense to me also.

Angelino and Cancelo brought in, both very attacking fullbacks in style, yet we were playing with inverted fullbacks in Walker and Zinchenko.

Was the intention for the long term plan to play wide fullbacks? We have almost never seen this, with only Mendy doing that, and not as often as I'd thought.

It's all very strange because I think our recruitment in terms of midfielders or forwards is basically perfect, I can't think of a player we brought in who didn't adapt or play a role in our system. Yet defensively I'm baffled, maybe the club should save some money here because they haven't been that smart and try some youth. Would love to see Tosin given a chance next season with Otamendi gone, and see Eric and Harwood-Bellis given back up roles.

I don't know if the academy is producing any fullbacks of talent, but the perfect Pep inverted fullback is extremely hard to find, you want a player who is:

1) Fast like Walker (or almost as fast)
2) Can control and pass the ball like Zinchenko (or almost as good)
3) But can defend like... well a decent defender (which apparently Cancelo and Angelino aren't good enough for)

Neither Walker or Zinchenko are perfect inverted fullbacks but do well enough. At Bayern, Lahm and Alaba fit this so perfectly.
He seems to only use mendy as an attacking fullback but as you say not as much as you would think. I think his ideal full back would be walker so if we were looking for someone on the left the main attribute we should look for is him being very fast. Its too hard to find all three of those factors you mentioned but he seems to really like walker and he only fills one of those criteria well.

He seems to only use mendy as an attacking fullback but as you say not as much as you would think. I think his ideal full back would be walker so if we were looking for someone on the left the main attribute we should look for is him being very fast. Its too hard to find all three of those factors you mentioned but he seems to really like walker and he only fills one of those criteria well.
True, but those 3 factors is what he wants. It's why Alaba and Lahm were so perfect for him at Bayern. That's the style of player the board should be looking for.

His performance today was the one slight positive to take away from that game. Messed up a couple of times but was solid otherwise. Showed glimpses of his skill as well—the outside of the foot through ball to Mahrez was beautiful. He could still be a great signing for us if he sticks at it

His passing is a real asset and he's so much more comfortable on the ball than Walker.

I think he'd be absolute quality if he was a regular starter. Unfortunately he'll probably never get the chance because he's behind one of Pep's most trusted players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.