COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard the full conference. An expert on radio 4 was saying that if you banned Cheltenham and had it behind closed doors. Most people who would have gone would either go to a pub/betting shop or other location in order to still enjoy the races and get the feel of the event.

The virus is much less likely to spread outside where there is good airflow, lots of UV light and not continual same group interactions when compared to indoors with poor airflow, little UV and constant sharing of the same space.

So as daft as it sounds. The modelling would say that banning the huge public gatherings BUT STILL having the event and pushing people indoors would cause the virus to spread more rapidly.

No idea what's correct but it does seem like a pretty sound explanation.

So ban the event. We did during the foot and mouth outbreak if I recall.

Travel to and from the game, meeting in pubs, mingling and mixing all the time. The Govt’s argument doesn’t stack up.

Perhaps the goal is risk management so right now not enough of us have the virus so we need more to have it until it reaches point x then we clamp down to delay the inevitable migration through the rest of the population whilst keeping it from overwhelming the system. It’s a vector calculation with an admission there will be casualties.

Not saying this is the case it’s just the way it comes across to me.
makes some kind of sense to look at it like that but just accepting vulnerable people dying before clamping down to protect the rest just cannot be acceptable,all those vulnerable people are putting the nhs under huge strain and will continue to do so until they all die,what is acceptable,a million,two million? Stop those who can get it from getting it and passing it on now,stop mass gatherings,i can see no reason not to,it wont make it any worse but might just make it better

So....

Do fuck all.

Be complicit in the deaths of the elderly and vulnerable.

We are run by wankers.

Well done for voting them in.

Behave ffs.

It’s hyperbole like this that just makes the whole debate ridiculous.

Go into lockdown now, within 4 weeks when it peaks people will be disobeying the lock down and things will get worse.

Herd immunity is needed and it’s the elderly and vulnerable who will be locked down first, to protect them.

Behave ffs.

It’s hyperbole like this that just makes the whole debate ridiculous.

Go into lockdown now, within 4 weeks when it peaks people will be disobeying the lock down and things will get worse.

Herd immunity is needed and it’s the elderly and vulnerable who will be locked down first, to protect them.
it is the opposite,the old and vulnerable are being sacrificed

Interestingly had an email today saying I should expect to be prepared to assist whenever possible or called upon, irrespective of my timetable/training.
No real clarification as to what that actually means though, but could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Also starting to think my holiday to Italy might not happen.

Interestingly had an email today saying I should expect to be prepared to assist whenever possible or called upon, irrespective of my timetable/training.
No real clarification as to what that actually means though, but could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Also starting to think my holiday to Italy might not happen.

yeah, touch and go on that one...

This feels like very selective “following the science” to me. I don’t think enough has been explained as to why the thought process here is to gradually build up immunity and accept the consequences rather than try and reverse the flow of the outbreak and attempt to eradicate it that way, which is proving successful elsewhere. I’m also not sure how there’s enough evidence to back up a lot of the assumptions either.

Hard not to be a bit cynical about that update tbh.

I have to say I agree. We seem to be wanting to follow a path which is certain to result in millions infected and tens of thousands of deaths if not 100,000+. But we can see in other countries such as South Korea, which started from a much worse base, they seem to have got it much more under control and would seem to be heading for an outcome - at least this year - much, much better than that.

Our approach would seem to be "well it's going to happen so how can we best deal with it" rather than "how can we stop this from happening". The latter might have seemed impossible but China have managed it. On the course we're on, if we only end up with as many deaths as China, it will be a fucking miracle. And yet they have 20x the population we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.