COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said cancelling sporting events is not a "major way to tackle this epidemic".

"Of course there is a risk," he said. "But on average one person infects two or three others.

"You therefore have a very low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium, or a rather higher probability of infecting people very close to you, and that means most of the transmission tends to takes place with friends and colleagues in close environments, not in the big environments.

"It is true that any cancellations of things can have some effect (but) if you then get a displacement activity, when everyone congregates somewhere else, you may have perversely an increased risk, particularly in an indoors environment.

"So it doesn't mean you should at some point make the decision for the resilience point that has been discussed, but this is not a major way to tackle this epidemic.

"The major ways are to try and reduce and delay the transmission across households and people who have become infected and that why that is the concentration of the first actions."

Not postings the full script,but is this guy a dipper fan,

But on average one person infects two or three others.now am not dumb & am not a genius.
But if am sat/stood next to them 3 people I could pass it on to 3people next to me,
In other words it will/could snowball.
Like its been posted other countries have suspended sports & entertainment stadiums
I think chief scientific adviser appears to mean chief make up some statistics to suit an agenda adviser. What's happened to the chief medical officer? He seemed to be talking a lot of sense last week, not really heard what he has to say now but I wouldn't be surprised if he's been "neutered".

They don't sound bothered about the spread. Yesterday they said preventing the spread is undesirable because they want to build immunity within the population.

If the facts are true and this thing spreads to 2-3 people from each person infected, that is 20000 or more new cases over the next 5 days. Once they spread that is another doubling and eventually we are looking at millions infected.

To them I suppose that figure doesn't matter, the figures they are really monitoring is the numbers in intensive care and those hospitalised which apparently is quite low.

I fear for the NHS and NHS staff, they are just waiting for a bomb to explode.

That's my point exactly.and that's just in stadiums,fans come out and mingle in bars etc, its unbelievable what he says & what government saying.
Think it was France no bigger groups than 1,000,x that by potential is fking scary
And what happens when NHS staff starts showing symptoms.
Then we are fked big time,it will be the fittest survive sadly..

One doesn’t have to be an epidemiologist to quote experts from the WHO, CDC and a dozen or so other countries that contradict the UK’s CMO, do you?

So I’m not sure why you’re persisting with that line of attack.

Neither of them have said anything specific to the UK. Surely strategy should depend on a number of factors that are specific to a particular country, rather than having a worldwide blanket policy?

I know it’s only Dan Roan but under the BBC breaking news is this.

Premier League emergency phone-conference at 10.30am
*Suspension of several weeks most likely, to take in international break.
*Abandonment unlikely at this stage.

Given that this weekend is already being fairly badly hit, and several clubs seem to be contracting it to various degrees, it seems an obvious approach.

Abandoning the season doesn't need to be done yet.

Again, it’s always this Ashton bloke. Every single source about last nights presser that’s negative is from this one guy.

Even appearing in the Guardian of all places.

He's just been on 5 Live for literally a minute, having his moan at the government and going off site before anyone can question his view point, and why it's different to that of the government's medical advisers.

ES-RSITWsAApOKf

He's just been on 5 Live for literally a minute, having his moan at the government and going off site before anyone can question his view point, and why it's different to that of the government's medical advisers.

He’s the only go to man for opposing the government at the moment - I don’t think him appearing in the Guardian is a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.