Westerns

67402489_651748905309887_1187782919717503992_n.jpg

I do like Young Guns.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is another I have found memories of watching with my dad.

More a novelty, this one

Rooster cogburn
True Grit
The sons of Katie elder
Rio Bravo
El Dorado

Rio Bravo and El Dorado are both brilliant films even though they both have the same basic storyline and characters

Silverado also has the four good guys theme but with a different storyline

On a tangent Support your Local Sheriff with James Garner is a great comedy western

The Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns of the 50's - Winchester 73, The Naked Spur, Bend of the River - among others are all classics.

Also really like Firecreek - James Stewart and Henry Fonda (the latter a forerunner of his bad guy in Once Upon a Time in the West).

A Fistful of Dynamite is a great spaghetti western that gets forgotten about - James Coburn and Rod Steiger.

Hostiles is a really good recent western.

But for me it's a toss up between The Searchers and The Wild Bunch as to which is best.

Using that finishing point, I’d take up The Wild Bunch as being the one I’d most enjoy putting on to watch now, given the choice. Elegiac is the word most often associated with that film, and it certainly has a haunting, lingering quality that stays with as it reflects on a gang of a certain age and the passing of the ‘good old days’ and the coming of the car, machine gun etc. I certainly preferred it to Butch & Sundance for example (though Katherine Ross is always welcome on screen). was never taken by the excitement of people who loved the ‘balletic’ quality of the violence, but I do think Peckinpah was a unique talent. For some reason the scene with the children the ants and the scorpion sticks with me although I haven’t seen it for ages.
Thanks for the reminder anyway, gonna dig it out and re-watch.

Whilst I’m here, and as the new season drops at 2am tonight, a shout for Westworld too. The tv series has morphed into one of the greatest pieces of art of the 21st century for me, but the clunky Yul Brynner vehicle from 73 was still an interesting film. Was or wasn’t it a Western?!

Rio Bravo and El Dorado are both brilliant films even though they both have the same basic storyline and characters

Silverado also has the four good guys theme but with a different storyline

On a tangent Support your Local Sheriff with James Garner is a great comedy western

Along with Carry on Cowboy of course;-)

Have to say, Clint more or less hogs the top table, Josey Wales, The Unforgiven, Pale Rider, the Spaghetti's etc, all take some beating.

That said, I'm a big fan of the these earlier efforts:

• Shane (was he dead when he rode off into the horizon?)
  • High Noon (brilliant, a man's gotta do what's a man's gotta do)
  • True Grit (fill yer hand you sonofabitch!)
Great films...
That Josie Wales film.
Completely absorbed me, as did unforgiven.

The Cowboys...John Wayne having to use kids for cattle trail...one of his last films I believe

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.