Westerns

Django Unchained: The spaggetti western slave film from the stable of the brilliant Tarantino: A recent articulate Rotten-Tomato reviewer said .. and I quote.

The movie is set two years prior to the Civil War and follows Django, on his quest to free his wife Broomhilda from southern slave owners. Django befriends Dr. King Schultz, a German dentist turned bounty hunter, who grants Django his freedom and enters into a partnership agreement with him. The pair spend the Winter wrangling up the wanted outlaws of the South and amassing a fortune. Django and Dr. Schultz end their journey on the Candyland plantation in Greenville, Mississippi that belongs to Monsieur Calvin Candie. Here, Django and Dr. Schultz try to purchase the freedom of Broomhilda while undercover for a different business proposition, and all chaos ensues. Tarantino attacks the cruelty of slavery in this film. Southern barbarity is one facet of this film that appears to be historically accurate. Tarantino's use of graphic violence reminds viewers of the disturbing reality of our nation's history; a history that is often rewritten in textbook pages and generally unspoken of. Django Unchained is a reminder of the horrors of slavery in our country that occurred not too long ago. This film is not for the faint-of-heart or weak-stomached. Blood is one of the most prominent threads presented throughout the film. The overt, outrageous, and excessive depiction of blood in this film further emphasizes the barbaric cruelty of slavery. Torture, whip lashings, fighting, broken bones, cruel punishments, and a man being torn apart by dogs all make this film hard to watch. However, the graphic imagery is a reminder of the reality of our nation's history. The graphic violence makes viewers want to look away and turn their cheek, much like many people did to slavery. While tackling the brutality and immorality of slavery, the film also gives us a black protagonist to root for. Django is a badass cowboy who is quicker with his pistol than any other man. Tarantino draws upon the "spaghetti Western" film genre for inspiration. This film has saloon shoot-outs, pistol shooting, and bareback horse riding. This movie also has multiple allusions to German culture, including the fairytale of Broomhilda. Django is a real life Siegfried who walks through hell-fire to save his lady from captivity and ultimately emerges triumphant. Viewers root for the success of Django, and praise the demise of the southern slave owners. Soundtrack and music are used effectively to build emotions in this film. Modern music is used to make Django look like a badass, despite being set in the 1860s. Although this film was hard for to watch, I think it was well-done.The film made me laugh, cheer, cry, and scream. I think it's important to tackle difficult subject matters in film.

Django .. the "D" is silent.

I score the film 10/10.

Never seen it, but I will now after that review.

Most of the classics have been mentioned. High Noon is probably my all time favourite. As well as a great plot and top acting, it threw a spanner in the works of the Macarthy political persecutions in Hollywood. Unforgiven and the Outlaw Josey Wales would make up my top 3 and I love the Spaghetti Westerns.

Most of the classics that have got a mentionbut there if of course the John Wayne Cavalry Trilogy. "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "Forte Apache" and "Rio Grande." They are a bit dated now but were classics of their type.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.