Book suggestions

Yeah, it's a brilliant novel. Not quite sure what's happening with the follow up, The Year of the Locust? Publication date seems to keep getting pushed back.
Bugs the crap out of me when authors keep pushing dates back. I read a trilogy of fantasy books by a guy called Patrick Rothfuss. They were some of the best fantasy books ive ever read (i love fantasy), but when i read them he was in the porcess of writing the 3rd book. That was 6 years ago and still no signs of the third book. I think he takes some sick perverse sense of achievement at winding people up so much.

Seeing as the request doesn't narrow it down too much I'm just gonna post my top 3 authors and series and overall favourite book.

Authors: Glen Duncan, Chris Brookmyre & Ken Bruen
Series: Dresden Files (Jim Butcher), Vorkosigan (Lois McMaster Bujold) & Adamsberg (Fred Vargas)

Overall favourite: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Hope he's a better author than he is a bloke.

The TV people decided he was more telegenic than the old and bold SF men of higher rank and more experience and gave him more status than he warranted if he continued serving.
Good soldiers do not get sent to prison for assaulting women especially female police officers.
But as always reality tv is far divorced from reality.

For some reason I cant explain I am going through the Game, Set and Match series of books by Len Deighton, low rent spy stuff and its excellent.

Philip Kerr is worth a shot with the Bernie Gunther series.

Nelson DeMille rarely writes a duff story so check his work out

Is his book on Berlin genuinely as good as Stalingrad? Stalingrad reads like a thriller, but the thriller of an entire city. And the best thing about it is that it's true. It's seriously documented. Utterly gripping.
Yes. It's the natural follow up and equally brilliant. Didn't enjoy his Ardennes one so much as those two.

I guess it takes all sorts.

Both were given to me as presents by my father in law who was fairly high in the British military.
He also gave me 'The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich'. Also an incredible book, but it's very thick with small writing so puts a lot of people off. Hard to read at the start, but once you get into it near impossible to put down. Took me about 6 weeks to read.

For some reason I cant explain I am going through the Game, Set and Match series of books by Len Deighton, low rent spy stuff and its excellent.

Philip Kerr is worth a shot with the Bernie Gunther series.

Nelson DeMille rarely writes a duff story so check his work out

Those 9 Deighton novels are an absolute joy - great shout that.

I took up a recommendation from The Times a couple of weeks ago and downloaded the first Dave Robicheaux novel on the kindle. Enjoyed it, nothing too arduous, took me away to New Orleans for a few days - and there’s another 20+ books in the series - gonna cost me upwards of £100 to read em all though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.