Scariest away day following City

Off topic but the Paul Power equaliser at Everton 81 cup game was something special, crazy day atmosphere unbelievable. I watch the clip on youtube quite often and in my 58 years of watching us home and away it just gets me.
That day remains in my top 5 aways.
Mental from start to finish ,worked with an Everton fan and he reckoned that was the biggest away support he's ever seen there. He had a few tales from there side too!

The warm reminiscing may be sad to read but it doesn't alter the fact that, for many of us, it was just part and parcel of following football, nobody is saying it's right, it just happened and we were part of it therefore we warmly reminisce. There wasnt much that could touch the rush of adrenalin felt at away games, even if you weren't a thug you still needed to come up with an exit strategy from almost every ground we ever played at, that alone leaves you with a memory.
Just trying to offer some perspective to your point, I've seen you say similar before, they were different times, it's a shame you can't accept that we're not glorifying it, they are fond memories, nothing more.
Excellent post. Any away game back then,just before the end of the game your mind drifted into thinking about getting out of the ground safely. It was nervy but just part the thrill of being a football fan in those days.

Last edited:
Going back to that Leeds game Sept 88, Ithey also fired a flare in to the City end, which went in to the top bit of the stand. I vividly remember that all their fans to the right of the City fans weren't watching the game at all, just constantly staring at City. Also, how come when you watch clips of the Leeds/City cup matches from 77,78 the away end was seated, but ten years later we were stood on terracing. Weird!.
I was at that game. The coppers after the game were with those that fired the flare and were laughing and joking with them.

Anyone else go to Chelsea league cup mid week about 83/84 we got stuffed 5-1 it pissed down torrentially and we were in that open end?

Not a big away following that night but still the loons were after us a petrol bomb was thrown and hit the metal corrugated fencing as we were coming away from the ground.

Piss wet through all the way home on the special train.

Yeah i was. shit night. Luckily our goal was when we were 4 or 5 down, cos i was in their end and forgot as you do, so jumped up when we scored. Got the looks and comments, but they let it go cos of the scoreline.

I was there. Two great clubs
I was in the paddock at the side just at the point where Kevin Ratcliffe got sent off for them. I was 14 and absolutely loved every minute of that game. My mate from school was one of the first to have a video player and he taped it from MOTD and we'd go round to his house after school and watch the Paul Power lob on repeat just to see the City fans bouncing behind the net. Everyone went absolute bonkers when that goal went in. Just feel privileged that we lived in a time when you could stand up at football and enjoy the chaos which followed after goals went in, especially in important matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.