Westerns

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

“I don’t know where we’ve been, and I’ve just been there!”

In these troubled times, anybody who likes watching a good " cowey " or western,who also is a fan of " Acorn antiques " , watch " The Gundown " on amazon prime. Clint eastward, my arse. brilliant.

The Western really is a great film genre,and apart from the obvious classics(of which there are many) nearly all being listed on this thread. There are still many great westerns that are less quoted, these for me include........ Hombre, starring Paul Newman and Richard Boone. Ulzanas Raid with Burt Lancaster, then there is Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford. Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall( one of my fav actors) and Michael Gambon is in it too. Also,could Last of the Mohicans be classed as a western? a fantastic film. While on the subject, I remember as a youngster there was an LP in our house, (probably my dads), called great western movie themes, which had all the classic scores from various films of that ilk.

Last of the Mohicans, a western? Highly controversial, but it's an interesting question as to where a western starts geographically. I'd probably argue that if the action happens east of the Appalachians it's not a western, otherwise you could argue that Terence Malick's The New World was a western? However, there are films like Drums along the Mohawk and NorthWest Passage and a few set in Florida during the Seminole wars that reasonably get lumped in with westerns, so I'm probably arguing against myself. Maybe there should be a sub category of 18th century frontier films?

Love a good western. Film 4 usually has a great selection. Bad guys in black hats, drunks redeeming themselves. naive women falling for the wrong guy. Ah happy days. Simpler times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.