Michael Robinson RIP

So sad. One of my favourite players at that time. Always loved his derby goal in 77/78 - edit 79/80. Saw him play and score for Ireland too a couple of years later. RIP Michael

Last edited:
I was thinking of Robinson on the Big Mal thread.

During the 79-80 season, City had a group of young players (Mackenzie, Caton Palmer, Bennett,Robinson )who all seemed to struggle under the weight of expectation, yet were arguably better than their short term replacements,

I guess it just needed patience and a consistent long term strategy, but City preferred carnage and chaos.

RIP

Last edited:
Very excited when he made his debut home to C Palace on a sunny day in 1979... week I started secondary school I think. 0-0 draw. Was on Match of the Day since there was a lot of interest in Mal's dealings and Palace as "the team of the 80's". Tommy Caton and Steve McKenzie at 16 and 17 also made their City and League debuts that day. Ray Ranson and Tony Henry also started alongside veterans Corrigan, Stepanovic, Power, Booth, Deyna and .. Barry Silkman! Think he scored a penalty against Brighton at home a week later - when he was allowed to take it to get one under his belt. Don't remember any of his other goals as such but think they were mainly home ones (Spurs, Sunderland (cup).. and maybe Derby as well as the Man U and Bristol City ones). I remember being disappointed he was missing sick for some games I attended when Roger Palmer stood in, including a mauling by the Wolves. Wish we had kept him and RIP Michael (I also remember reading he didn't like being called Mick, as he thought it sounded like a dog!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.