Michael Robinson RIP

RIP , a good player for us i thought at the time. A good man outside of the game, spoken highly of by others. Condolences to his wife and family. Gone too soon

My mate who was a pal of Michael’s, he’d lost contact with him but managed to get his number after he was diagnosed and spoke to him last year, passed a few weeks ago as well sad times. My mate always spoke well of Michael he had a hairdresser salon in city centre and Michael use to pop in after training for a coffee and a chat
After he moved to lfc he was having a bad spell, he told my mate that he was doing extra training as there was talk in the papers that he was going to be dropped and he was down about it. Bob Paisley came out and said you ok Michael, not really boss, why? Well it’s being said that I’m going to be dropped Really, said Paisley, he pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and said well here’s the team sheet for Saturday, Michael looked at it and three was one name, his! He scored a couple that weekend

Lovely to read that. He seemed like such a genuinely nice bloke. Thanks for confirming it.

I fractured my skull in the Kippax in 1979 we played Sheffield Wednesday in a cup tie I was about 12 at the time I was sat on the wall that separated the Kippax to the open end in between the North Stand. Joe Corrigan saved a pen and the ref ordered it to be retaken the crowd pushed forward and fell about 6FT fracturing my skull I was at the match with my uncle.. I was taken to St Mary’s I was in there for 3 weeks, anyway the club arranged for MICHAEL ROBINSON to visit me he stayed for about an hour they had a small snooker table in there coz it was a kids ward he had a couple of games of snooker against me and brought me a load of City memorabilia including a signed photo of big Joe. When he was leaving he invited me down to Maine Road for the next match I could attend when I got out. It was a weird set up at Maine Road in them days the players went in through a small blue door next to the main entrance you had tell the steward youd been invited, it was match day about 1pm and I was in the changing room with Michael Robinson and all the players.. Eddie Large was in there as well I got a tour of the dressing room got everyone’s autographs checked the big daft baths they got in together ( Eddie Large joked he had a bath that big a home just for himself ) I sat on the bench before the game next to Dragoslav Stepanovic he couldn’t speak a word of English I left about 45m later coz Malcolm Allison was starting his team talk. Can you imagine that nowadays, in all my time of time of supporting City that was a day I’ll never forgot all thanks to the one and only MICHAEL ROBINSON RIP mate

I fractured my skull in the Kippax in 1979 we played Sheffield Wednesday in a cup tie I was about 12 at the time I was sat on the wall that separated the Kippax to the open end in between the North Stand. Joe Corrigan saved a pen and the ref ordered it to be retaken the crowd pushed forward and fell about 6FT fracturing my skull I was at the match with my uncle.. I was taken to St Mary’s I was in there for 3 weeks, anyway the club arranged for MICHAEL ROBINSON to visit me he stayed for about an hour they had a small snooker table in there coz it was a kids ward he had a couple of games of snooker against me and brought me a load of City memorabilia including a signed photo of big Joe. When he was leaving he invited me down to Maine Road for the next match I could attend when I got out. It was a weird set up at Maine Road in them days the players went in through a small blue door next to the main entrance you had tell the steward youd been invited, it was match day about 1pm and I was in the changing room with Michael Robinson and all the players.. Eddie Large was in there as well I got a tour of the dressing room got everyone’s autographs checked the big daft baths they got in together ( Eddie Large joked he had a bath that big a home just for himself ) I sat on the bench before the game next to Dragoslav Stepanovic he couldn’t speak a word of English I left about 45m later coz Malcolm Allison was starting his team talk. Can you imagine that nowadays, in all my time of time of supporting City that was a day I’ll never forgot all thanks to the one and only MICHAEL ROBINSON RIP mate
What a fantastic story mate, your fall obviously didn't have any long lasting effects in terms of recall. Health & safety has also come a long way since then, I watched a couple of games sat on the wall at the back of where you were, sheer drop behind but not the same danger of pushing causing a fall, but still...

RIP Michael.

I remember him best as a Preston player. I saw him at Deepdale several times in the late 70s. I remember a story about his transfer to City. Not sure if true but I recall it was reported this way in the local paper in Preston. Big Mal offered Nobby Stiles £250K, and as he had only had one season playing well as a first team regular, Stiles was a bit taken aback. Allison mistook the astonishment as Stiles thinking he was undervaluing him so followed up with an offer of £750k which Stiles managed to accept without collapsing with shock. This was a huge fee at the time when we’d only just seen the first million pound transfers.
RIP.

Media has it he was a Liverpool player. Fact is he played the same number of games for both City and Liverpool. RIP taken far too soon. Thank you for the memories Michael.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.