39 years ago today ! Centenary FA Cup Final.

Jam Tomorrow

Hard to believe it’s 39 years ago today City played Spurs in the Centenary FA Cup Final. Obviously the first game finished 1-1, Tommy Hutch at both ends. Didn’t go to the first game but went to the replay the following Thursday.

Didn't get to the game...fucking working.

Went to the reply tho.

Fucking hate Spurs with s passion. They've always been third behind rags & dips.

Fair play to my rag dad, but he took me to that game, when I was 11, which we should have won. Gerry Gow had a chance he should have scored, after they had equalised iirc.

Don't think the outcome made much difference to our destiny, save for the numbers on that banner. It wasn’t a sliding doors moment imo.

It was also a really enjoyable run to the final. Possibly the best of the lot tbf. I bet Peterborough away was fun.

Found my match day programme at my mum and dad’s a while back and was chuffed to bits!

This wasn't the Centenary Final, but the 100th. The Centenary Final was in 1972. The difference is down to the lost finals in war years.

Incredibly City cocked up and gave players sweaters with Centenary Final on them and then years later or the reproduction kits, sold 5 to 6 years since, did the same again. You couldn't make it up.

Went the first game but mum & dad wouldn’t let me go to the replay because I had a exam on the afternoon and one the next morning. Should of just gone because I f@*ked them both up .

Fair play to my rag dad, but he took me to that game, when I was 11, which we should have won. Gerry Gow had a chance he should have scored, after they had equalised iirc.

Don't think the outcome made much difference to our destiny, save for the numbers on that banner. It wasn’t a sliding doors moment imo.

It was also a really enjoyable run to the final. Possibly the best of the lot tbf. I bet Peterborough away was fun.

Found my match day programme at my mum and dad’s a while back and was chuffed to bits!

Went to both games and still hate spuds
Yeah Peterborough was a mad day..lots of fighting on the way back to the station..lots of gypsies with the Peterborough fans
The semi against Ipswich was a fantastic day too

John Bond did an unreal job that season for me but I think it was always going to be a short-term fix. It made a huge impression on me though as it was the first City team I really bought into. I wasn’t attending any games back then as a 10 year old but it was a hugely entertaining cup run. The 6-0 v Norwich, 4-0 v Palace, Peterborough, and then that Everton game where we looked like we were going out until the late equaliser and the subsequent replay win. It shows how good Ipswich were at the time - they’d have won the league IMO if it wasn’t for a fixture pile-up on multiple fronts - as my heart sank when we got drawn against them in the semis and I thought we’d get absolutely battered. I didn’t follow that game on the radio for some reason but I sure as hell remember Grandstand about to go off air that Saturday afternoon and informing me that Paul Power had given us the lead in extra-time!

As for the final, the replay almost destroyed my City-supporting career before it had hardly even started.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.